Jump to content
Fish On First
  • Create Account

Hans Herrera

Verified Member
  • Posts

    252
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

 Content Type 

Profiles

Miami Marlins Videos

2026 Miami Marlins Top Prospects Ranking

Miami Marlins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

News

2025 Miami Marlins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Miami Marlins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Hans Herrera

  1. Mark Canha or Eric Wagaman? Austin Hays or Dane Myers? Caleb Ferguson or Josh Simpson?
  2. I do agree with you Ely. Even though Kempner looks solid, 17 AAA-innings might not be enough to deserve a roster spot. I also think the front office would like to scoop someone from another organisation, meaning they will probably not protect him and maybe DFA another one or two before the draft. Interesting evening you guys will have on Friday (I’ll be 🥱😴💤)
  3. Even though I’m a big fan of Eddy, I like the trade. That also means the A’s will say no, but probably because of the other pieces in the proposed deal. Still, Cabrera for Sodestrom it’s very interesting.
  4. I guess it’s now Kempner’s turn. He only threw 17 innings in Jacksonville, but he impressed. But what about Matt Pushard? Isn’t he a borderline candidate for being protected? Even McCambley has somehow a solid case, and the Rockies, Pirates, White Sox, Twins and Angels are all needing pitching help….
  5. Hey! I think the trade with the Yankees is pretty cool, but I think giving away Eddy is too much. Besides, you are leaving a big hole in the rotation, and that should also be addressed. Not sure if a Sandy-Eury-Weathers-Junk-Garrett rotation can hold an entire season, given the health concerns from both lefties. Maybe adding an innings-eater veteran can get you close to a contender. In any case, adding Rice to the current roster is a huge improvement. Would you be satisfied with a Norby/Pauley platoon at 3rd?
  6. Thanks for your insights! On Weathers: Since the Marlins won’t spend in frontline free agents, they need to trade Starters to get bats. And personally rather trade Weathers -who should have enough trade value- than Sandy or Eddy. On Petersen: He throws gas, but also needs some fine-tuning. I think he will contribute along the way, but maybe not at the beginning, barring injuries. On Quintana: after trading both Garrett and Weathers, the rotation could use a lefty. He should not come expensive, and he’s more a trading piece and a holdover while Snelling gets ready to join the team by mid-season. On Mayo: there are many similarities with Norby, but Mayo has excelled in every level except the Majors, but that might also be because the Orioles have not gave him an extended opportunity at 3B. I do like his plate discipline and power.
  7. Makes you wonder why risk your career when you are having a solid season and, particularly for Clase, are about to sign the biggest contract of your life. I don't understand. Bet addiction, maybe?
  8. One week ago, Ely started this fun exercise where everyone can see what the wish list looks like for the Marlins this offseason, and I promised my own version of it. Last week, I was away on holiday and didn't have the time to write it down. During the week, many roster moves happened, the most commented - and probably unpopular - was Troy Johnston claimed off waivers by the Rockies. Yesterday, I found that M.J.S. posted his own Blueprint. Now it's my turn, and once again, I do this with my wishes, but always hand in hand with what I think is realistic, both when it comes to trade proposals and budget spending. 40-man roster crunch: For the most part, this already happened. But let's recap the roster moves: Roster Transactions: - The Baltimore Orioles claimed RHP George Soriano off waivers from the Miami Marlins. The Colorado Rockies claimed 1B/OF Troy Johnston off waivers from the Miami Marlins. - RHP Zach Brzykcy was claimed off waivers from the Washington Nationals. - RHP Christian Roa, 2B Jack Winkler, RHP Tyler Zuber, RHP Jesús Tinoco, C Brian Navarreto, RHP Valente Bellozo, and RHP Freddy Tarnok were outrighted to Jacksonville. All of them elected free agency and can now sign with any club. - Miami Marlins activated RHP Max Meyer, LHP Andrew Nardi, RHP Anthony Bender, and LHP Braxton Garrett from the 60-day injured list. The 40-man roster as of today, Monday, 10th Nov 2025: Pitchers: Alcántara, Bachar, Bender, Brzykcy, Cabrera, Faucher, Fulton, Garrett, Gibson, Gusto, Henríquez, Junk, Mazur, Meyer, Nardi, Pérez, Petersen, Phillips, Simpson, Weathers. Position Players: Hicks, Ramírez, Acosta, De Los Santos, Edwards, López, Norby, Pauley, Sanoja, Serna, Wagaman, Conine, Hernández, Marsee, Mesa Jr., Myers, Stowers, Wiemer. That's 38 players. The next important date for the Marlins' roster is the 21st of November, which is the Non-tender deadline. This one is tricky because of health concerns; Nardi is a non-tender candidate. On the other hand, his salary projection is barely above the minimum ($800k), and given his past success and the lack of lefties in the bullpen, it might be worth taking the shot. It all depends on his health, and the organisation is quite adamant about sharing his status. I would not tender him. The roster goes down to 37 players. Rule-5 draft: Select C Joe Mack, RHPs Josh White, and William Kempner to the 40-man roster. Near-obvious moves given the quality displayed in AAA last year, both Mr Sussman and DJS agreed here. The roster is full now. Here is where things get interesting. It's Trade Season: - LHP Braxton Garrett and INF Connor Norby for RHP Juan Mejía and LHP Michael Prosecky from Colorado. Makes sense for both sides because the Rockies need all the SPs they can get, even with the huge health concerns that come with Garrett. They also need corner infielders, and after grabbing Johnston last week, Norby would be a good complement. Mejia is a high-octane reliever with only one year of service, with a FB-SL combo, and Prosecky is an AA lefty who has starting experience, but projects as a bullpen arm and can make the big leagues as soon as next season. Given the projected heavy-lefty lineup, the roster would need a RH bat... - LHP Ryan Weathers and Anthony Bender for 3B/1B Coby Mayo and OF Austin Overn from Baltimore. How about giving another shot to this recently successful trade partnership? It should be pretty much the same trade as the win-win Norby-and-Stowers-for-Rogers trade. Baltimore will be hesitant to part ways with Mayo, but their roster already features a solid infield, and they have to give Basallo most reps at 1B. Mayo has always projected a higher ceiling than Norby, even at the expense of more swing-and-miss, but also more plate discipline. He is a below-average defender at 3B, but has a great arm, and the glove can improve (I bet he would be better than Norby anyway). Despite Baltimore's depth chart featuring eight starters, only Dean Kremer threw more than 120 innings last year, and he is more of a 5th starter. Overn is a glove-first CF playing double AA, and is basically a throw-in. Alternative: A trade for 3B Sal Stewart from CIN. The roster sits now at 38 players. For the love of god, can we sign a couple of free agents? - Sign RHP Ryan Helsley at the same contract, but probably a couple more million the first year. - Sign 1B Lewin Diaz to an incentive-loaded 2-year MLB guarantee contract ($5M the first year with up to $2M in incentives based on HRs, $7M second for the second year), with an opt-out option after the 1st year. This is basically replacing Johnston’s spot for a Gold Glove-calibre 1B, who just hit 50 HRs in Korea. If he can translate at least 20 of those against MLB pitching, the sign will be a bargain. One can dream about a Mack-Diaz-Edwards-Mayo/Pauley-López infield that would be very much appreciated by the entire pitching staff. - Sign LHP José Quintana to a $5M one-year deal. This signing makes sense from many perspectives. After trading both lefties in the rotation, one veteran southpaw could be useful. Also, the contract is basically the same money as the projected arbitration salaries for Bender, Garrett, and Weathers. On top of that, Quintana can be a trade chip mid-season, pretty much the same as Quantrill was this year. Alternative: LHP Anthony Kay (Yokohama BayStars). The roster reaches 40 players once again. I have not addressed one problem: this roster is missing a LH reliever. I think the approach here would be "finding a hidden gem" via Rule 5 claims or several minor league deals, with invitations to Spring Training. Speaking of which: Minor League Free Agents: Sign RHP Bellozo, LHP Nardi, and C Navarreto to minor league deals with an invitation to Spring Training. Contracts with incentives if they make the MLB roster, luring them to stay in the organisation. Other proposed minor league deals: LHP Génesis Cabrera, LHP Cionel Pérez, LHP John Rooney, LHP Matt Krook, LHP Drew Rom, LHP Ethan Small, RHP Nabil Crismatt, RHP Alexis Díaz, INF Kevin Newman, 1B/OH Nick Pratto, OF/DH Eloy Jiménez, and C Elias Díaz. Contract Extensions: Same as Ely, plus Marsee this mid-season, depending on how he performs before the All-Star break. Projected 26-man to start the season: Catchers: Hicks, Ramírez (with Mack eventually joining in late April or May, at the expense of Myers) Infielders: Díaz, Edwards, Mayo, López, Pauley, Sanoja Outfielders: Stowers, Marsee, Conine, Hernández, Myers Starters: Alcántara, Cabrera, Pérez, Quintana, Junk Relievers: Helsley (CL), Mejia (SU), Henriquez (SU), Faucher, Bachar, Phillips, Gibson, and Meyer Rest of the 40-man: Acosta, Serna, Wagaman, Wiemer, Mesa Jr., De Los Santos, Mack, Kempner, White, Brzykcy, Mazur, Petersen, Gusto, Fulton Opening Day Lineup (vs RHP): Edwards 2B Marsee CF Stowers LF Ramirez DH Diaz 1B Mayo 3B Conine RF Lopez SS Hicks C Lineup vs LHP: Edwards 2B Hernandez RF Ramirez C Stowers DH Mayo 3B Diaz 1B Lopez SS Myers CF Sanoja LF When Mack arrives, and if he performs as expected (around .240/.310/.400), the lineup will get a lot closer to a contender. There will be some more work still to be done, but that will depend on how the first half of the season develops. Roster pieces like Petersen, Josh White, Gusto, Wagaman, DLS, and minor league pieces like Snelling, Thomas White, and Alderman can be impactful down the stretch. Most of the roster moves will not make the farm system, but the cost of the free agents might be a long shot, given the always-frugal ownership. As always, let me know what you think.
  9. Can someone explain me how Johnston is less valuable to this roster than Simpson, Serna, Wiemer, and above all, Winkler? I legitimately ask this question because I do not understand.
  10. Exciting! What I liked: 1. 40-man crunch 2. Free Agents (1) 3. 2-for-4 in Trades (Garrett-Norby, Bender) 4. Player extensions (I would even add Marsee) 5. No more Gus as a catcher. I already expressed my opinion about the Arenado trade; not that I don't like it, I just think it's unrealistic. Would have been nice to project your 26-man, since you were already there. It is now my turn...
  11. That catch over Alonso’s line drive was the cherry on top of his GG case. Congrats Javier!
  12. Barring trades plus injuries, the Fish have enough staters to begin the season so no need to keep trying on this. And that’s just one reason: Innings limit, pitch mix, inefficiency, etc. All pointing toward a move to the bullpen, were he will most certainly thrive with that FB-SL combo.
  13. With both Edwards and Marsee on the starting lineup, there is no need to bring him. The lineup needs firepower.
  14. Hey Alex, I agree with you in your main idea: Trading prospects for Veterans makes little to no sense. Perhaps more importantly, why would the Cardinals make that trade? Their second best hitter with 3 years of control swapped for two prospects and two AAAA-players? No one would do that, even packaging him with Arenado won’t make the cut. I think if the Marlins really want Burleson, it’s going to cost them a Starter: maybe a Weathers-straight up trade? We, same as you, most of the time find the management of this franchise infuriating. But throwing out ranting comments towards other fans or them writers is unnecessary. I mean, you can certainly say whatever the heck you want, but chill out for once. Yes, they have to find something to write about, but they do it with the same passion you write your comments. And it should be extremely difficult to keep us (FoF followers) entertained given this s***** franchise and its everlasting frugality.
  15. I mean, he had over 400 PAs in AA and performed under .600 OPS, then got promoted to Jacksonville (I guess because his defense and player promotions from JAX to MIA during the season), and even with that small sample of barely over 40 PAs, the only interesting stat was his OBP (.366). No way he is deserving a 40-man spot in Miami. I don't think any team is willing to take him a la Nasim Núñez, which means, they probably get to keep him in with the Jumbo Shrimp, and that should be fine.
  16. I think another "most likely cut" is Serna. With both Sanoja and Acosta on the roster, it is quite redundant to have him. While he's still young, I think it will come down to choosing between him and DLS, and the latter should be in a safer spot as of today. The upcoming Rule 5 draft looks quite interesting for the Marlins. Apart from Mack, there are at least two arms with enough merit to be considered (White, Pushard), and another two borderline candidates (Kempner, McSweeney)... fun times!
  17. I don't see the Twins as an obvious trade partner for a 3B. Lewis had a lot of trouble with the glove, and Lee is more a SS. They have a bunch of 2B/Utility players to shuffle around, but not a solid 3B. Besides, MIN looks more and more like a rebuilding team. Teams that might have a "surplus" of 3Bmen are: Texas (Jung, Smith), Toronto (Barger, Clement), and maybe the amazing Mets (Baty, Vientos, and Mauricio)... but are any of those players actually desirable? I would say Barger is the most solid one, followed by Baty. Then, is there a clear way for a trade between Miami and Toronto or NY? I think Barger is more expensive than the Marlins would like to send back, and there is no way we are trading with the Mets, If they bring Lewin Díaz on an extremely incentive-loaded contract (Minor league contract with an invitation to ST, making say, $5-8M if cracks the OD roster and $2M each 15, 20, 25 HRs, for example) they I could live with Pauley-Norby platoon during next season. Whether it is Helsley or not, a closer is a position they definitely need to address from outside the organisation.
  18. LOL, that was a lot of fun! I would need to up my game on those questions... Isaac picked it up pretty quickly. The Petersen question: He is currently the Marlins' reliever with the highest average Fast Ball velocity in the bullpen (97.5 mph - 92% percentile). He has a good chance to crack the bullpen next year, but he definitely needs to work on his secondary pitch.
  19. As much as I love Murakami (I'm also a Tsubame fan), his K% is something to be concerned about. I think Okamoto has a higher floor - also a lower ceiling -, better defense, and maybe can be brought on a shorter deal, since he'll be 30 midway next season. Last, but certainly not least, #BringBackLewinDiaz
  20. One of the most expected articles this month! Thanks, Isaac. I agree with most of your roster, but there are some things I don't see happening. For example, why bring Goldschimdt when he's been roughly league average over the last two seasons? First base is definitely a target for improvement, but before bringing Goldy, I think Johnston bought himself some ABs next season. Either Troy or Wags (or both, at Wiemer's expense) should share the position with Gus until calling Mack up to the show. One can hope for a trade with the Orioles, getting Coby Mayo for ... Weathers or Meyer?. Also, the bullpen, particularly Simpson vs Meyer. Josh has a great pitch mix, but his results were so poor that he might need more time in JAX. As my understanding, Meyer should be ready by OD, not sure about Nardi or Braxton, but if they are, no way I am choosing Simpson over any of them. Offseason targets: 1B/3B; a bona-fide Closer; a right-handed, glove-first OF (or maybe stick with Dane Myers) Starting lineup: C Agustín Ramírez, 1B Troy Johnston, 2B Xavier Edwards, 3B Connor Norby, SS Otto Lopez, LF Kyle Stowers, CF Jakob Marsee, RF Griffin Conine, DH Heriberto Hernández Bench: C/1B Liam Hicks, UTIL Javier Sanoja, 3B Graham Pauley, 1B/OF Eric Wagaman Starting rotation: RHP Sandy Alcantara, RHP Edward Cabrera, RHP Eury Pérez, LHP Ryan Weathers, RHP Janson Junk Bullpen: RHP Ronny Henriquez, RHP Calvin Faucher, RHP Lake Bachar, RHP Tyler Phillips, RHP Michael Petersen, RHP Max Meyer, RHP Anthony Bender, LHP Cade Gibson Injury uncertainty: LHP Braxton Garrett, LHP Andrew Nardi
  21. Last offseason, I was one of those who believed Otto was a bench player on a good team. I'm so glad I was wrong. But also, he looked so much better once the managing team realized HE was the SS!
  22. As of today, those are also my eight relievers to start next season. The biggest flaw is the actual closer: Henríquez and Nardi are more suited for the Set Up role, and while Faucher has experience, he is not a lights-out closer. The guy who throws the hardest in this bullpen is Petersen, and I see the potential he has, but I'd rather bring someone from outside the organization with a more solid track record. There are some names out there that might be the answer: Helsley, Finnegan, Alvarado (his option will be declined), Kenley Jansen; or even guys like Gregory Soto or Seranthony Dominguez won't break the bank and can do the job.
  23. Everything you are about to read represents my gut feeling and nothing more. 1. Yes, the Marlines overachieved, but many losses were plain stubbornness (and some wins were pure luck, honestly) Why did they bother with the Edwards to SS for SO LONG, when it was obvious Otto López was the man to handle the position? How many times, we the fans, witnessed excruciating bullpen decisions? Is there any way to convince these people that Agustín Ramírez is not an MLB catcher? I just don't love McCullough. I do acknowledge he has an AMAZING team around him, but sometimes they were forcing things when there was absolutely no need to. 2. We all loved the Gus Bus, but... And I'm not even talking about the catching part. Yes, he hit 21 HRs. Yes, he is definitely a threat when in the batter's box. He for sure will get some ROY votes. My concern is about the quality of many, many ABs. Often, he looked overmatched. High chase rate, low BB%. He did not show those flaws in AAA... a lot to work with him this offseason. 3. All eyes are on getting a 1B, but can we do something about 3B? Pete Alonso, Josh Naylor, Ryan O'Hearn... they are not happening (#BringBackLewinDiaz). The solution is so simple that I won't even mention it. Late in the season, it looked like Wags finally found it. Johnston should give decent numbers if an extended opportunity opens for him. So, can we talk about yet ANOTHER experiment? Norby can play the position once or twice a week, but no more than that, and his bat is not helping his cause anyway. Pauley is an outstanding glove, but his best-case scenario is a 105 OPS+ bat. 4. Bullpen, bullpen, and more bullpen arms Henriquez, amazing. Bachar, Gibson, Faucher, and Phillips, solid but unspectacular. Bender got injured when most needed (not his fault, obviously). This bullpen needs a 99+ mph-Ryan Helsley-type of guy. The aforementioned six people, plus Nardi, plus Meyer (I think he will take the long-reliever role next year, barring injuries and/or multiple trades), plus a bona fide closer, and you got a pretty solid bullpen. José Alvarado? David Robertson at least? Anyone? Are you going to be THAT cheap, Bruce? 5. Offseason besties for trades There is a 90% probability that the Front Office is going to trade away a Starter. However, given the roster crunch the team is facing when the Rule 5 deadline approaches, there are some teams the Marlins should contact in order to strike a deal. For example, I liked what I saw from Halvorsen, Vodnik, and Mejía in Colorado. Or maybe the White Sox, having Taylor and Leasure as strikeout guys in the bullpen. Those are two out of three teams that were WORSE than the Marlins in OPS from their first basemen, and Troy Johnston is a potential trade candidate, as much as I hate to admit it. At least ONE of those names should be available via trade, right?
×
×
  • Create New...