-
Posts
259 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
2
Content Type
Profiles
Miami Marlins Videos
2026 Miami Marlins Top Prospects Ranking
Miami Marlins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
News
2025 Miami Marlins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Miami Marlins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by Chad Turner
-
Obviously Sherman can't outspend anybody, so I agree with him that the TB way is the only chance we have to be competitive. I blame MLB for letting him be an owner in the first place, and not having a fair model. At least I can go to any game I want and sit in a premium seat for cheap. I enjoy watching the young, ambitious players grow more than a bunch of spoiled 30+ year olds complain all the time. Obviously Sandy is an exception, and I would love to clone his makeup 26 times. Give me the low expectation, outperforming team over the high expectation, underperforming team all day long.
-
Is there any hope left this offseason?
Chad Turner commented on Hans Herrera's blog entry in Peces en Primera
I hear you. There's more work to do before we have a perennial top 5 MiLB system like TB. DDLS (at age 21) has time on his side to find a defensive home. Perhaps RF is the place. Agustin could improve at C or flipped to 3B, 1B, or COF. We have no idea how that will work, so just be patient. At least we aren't dealing with 27 yr old prospects like Johnston and Myers (who appeared in a few top 10 lists at the start of last year). We have added 25 of our top 40 prospects in the last 12 months, not counting recent grads that are on the 40-man like Norby, Stowers, and Mervis (really almost everyone) who could still be late bloomers. Not all will make it, and we can address holes in free agency the next few years, I'd much rather be where we are now than still be a .500 club with no minors. It had to be done. The seeds are there, and we have better tools and personnel to tend to them now. The path will be much clearer this Fall.- 6 comments
-
- miami marlins
- roster
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I hear you, but we control everyone on the roster for 4 or more years except Sandy, Jesús, and Bender (who we control for 3). So who are you going to extend? We aren't going to sign any high-profile FAs now. That's for sure. But we could use a SP and a couple of RPs to fill gaps and have someone to trade at the deadline. Sandy's not pitching a full season. Eury won't even pitch a half season. Is Max fully healthy? Do you really want to go into the season with Bellozo being in the starting 5? Our bullpen was a late season MASH unit. In other rebuilds, we would sign vet IF and OF bench guys to show leadership and coach these young ones up. We have over $20MM to spend to avoid a grievance. So like $10MM on a starter and $3mm/each on the other 4.
-
Miami Marlins State of Mind Poll
Chad Turner commented on rurrusuno's blog entry in Offseason Shopping List
C, Somewhat worse, 5th. There's little hope left for '25 with Luzardo and Brax gone from the rotation, and our biggest HR threat traded for prospects that are not going to help this year. I give it a C only because I'd rather see the kids play than a bunch of below avg vets. But that could still happen, as we need to spend to avoid a grievance. Somehow Tanner Scott just signed a contract bigger than our entire payroll (including Avi Garcia). In less than a year, we went from our best bullpen ever to the worst in the league. I doubt we would win the AAA International League this year. But at least we have a plan and our minors is much improved. We've spent money on Tech and staff, and that gives me hope that some prospects will show some improved outcomes. -
These are our best prospects by position. My only requirements are that they have seen time in AA at least, and they are younger than 24.5 on opening day. 1B DDLS - .294 avg, 40 HR. Needs to improve plate discipline and cut down errors. Age 21.8 2B Max Acosta - batted .288 in '24 and can play SS. Looking more like a solid bench MIF. Age 22.4 SS Jared Serna - batted .284, 19 HR in '23. Was rushed a little last year and regressed. Age 22.8 3B Graham Pauley - hit .308, 23HR in '23. Was rushed to MLB, got embarrassed, and lost his mojo. Age 24.5. Norby is only 24.8 but isn't really considered a prospect anymore, but deserves to be mentioned. Let's hope he can stick at 3B. LF Ronny Simon (24.9) and H Hernandez (25.3) Just missed my age cutoff, and Emaarion Boyd (21.6) Isn't in AA yet, so I guess I will slide Victor Mesa over from CF and put him here. He hit 31 HRs the last 2 year combined despite injuries. Age 23.6 CF Jacob Marsee - Here for his speed, defense, and plate discipline. Let's hope the avg goes back up, because the power won't. 23.7 RF Kemp Alderman - Dealt with injury, wowed in AZ. The power is there, now let's see results 22.6 C Joe Mack - A C that bats .252 with 24 HRs and solid D? Yes please. K-rate must drop. Age 22.3 DH Jacob Berry - The struggle bus continued in April/May, but turned a corner the rest of the year. Can he play RF at least? Age 23.9 CF/U Andrew Pintar - Hit .304 in A+, then stumbled in AA. Had a good showing in AZ. Only 1 error and 1 CS. Solid. 24.0 1B Nathan Martorella - Bad slump after being traded but batted .296, 12 HR in his las 38 games in AA. 24.1 DH Agustin Ramirez - Ok, he has a great bat for a C, but he's not a C (10% CS rate last year). I hope he improves there, because he hasn't played much elsewhere. Age 23.6 U Javier Sanoja - Batted .286, 7 HR mostly in AAA and has good D up the middle (2B, SS, CF). He will be an asset for years at 22.6 Honorable mentions that don't qualify: SS X Edwards 25.6, C Ryan Ignoffo 24.7 (no AB in AA), OF Sasaki 24.7 Who would you change? What's our weakest area?
-
Updated Marlins Opening Day roster projection entering 2025
Chad Turner replied to Isaac Azout's topic in Miami Marlins Talk
If you look at Stowers' MiLB numbers, they are arguably the best on this club. You can't judge him solely on the worst slump of his career. He will be given another chance to prove he's not Lewis Brinson. But based on the last 2 months of the season, the spot would obviously go to Conine. We are likely to see at least 60 players suit up for the Marlins this season, so they will all get a chance. Plus we still could sign a FA OF that would keep them both in the minors. It's a fun exercise anyway.- 13 replies
-
- sandy alcantara
- connor norby
- (and 5 more)
-
Gordon disappointed, but Okert didn't do much either. TIE I hated the Berti trade and still do. LOSS Bellozo was given to us after we waived Amaya produced more WAR than Amaya probably ever will. WIN Head, Marsee, and Martorella had a rough go of it, but Arraez didn't produce much WAR either. Head still could be something special. TIE I love DDLS. I hope he proves me right, because Pintar doesn't have much value. Puk is nasty and controllable, but just a RP. TIE Jazz for 3 flawed prospects. TBD. Right now I have my doubts. Yanks look like geniuses for moving him to 3B. I'd do Norby for Rogers right now, so I'm saying WIN Bell is a FA now, so we didn't lose by saving. Chargois is also a FA, but we didn't get much. Snelling went from pitcher of the year to running into a wall, but he's young. I wish we still had Hoeing. Mazur and the others didn't do much after the trade. Verdict still out on this one. Forrester is a former 3rd rd pick and Shim looked bad in the AFL. DLC burned out, so this is a WIN. Lara posted a .761 OPS after the trade and Braz didn't look good and is now 35. WIN!
- 11 replies
-
- jon berti
- luis arraez
- (and 8 more)
-
4 bad contracts that Marlins should try to trade for
Chad Turner replied to Ely Sussman's topic in Miami Marlins Talk
Besides saving face and getting some marginal prospects, I don't see the benefit to Sherman, the team, or the fans. By taking on more salary, he gets less revenue sharing. That's a double whammy. Plus we are wasting a roster spot on someone who doesn't fit in our long term plan. We would literally lose a guy like Stowers who was a good prospect a year ago, or block a guy like Mazur from getting big league reps in a lost year. I would rather watch a rookie go through growing pains than watch another vet struggle (like TA or Avi). At least there's hope with the rook. As far as any grievance goes: until there is a cap and a floor, the other owners don't have a leg to stand on. Period. Too bad they are too greedy to see the NFL model is the best. -
Offishial News: Jesús Luzardo leaves Miami, stays in NL East
Chad Turner replied to Ely Sussman's topic in Miami Marlins Talk
I believe in Weathers as a solid mid-rotation guy. Snelling's fastball was down 2 mph in '24. He's not making it to MLB throwing 92, so I hope he finds it again (and not about to have TJS). Laskey posted nice numbers the last 3 years, but only has 6 starts since '22. A 27 yr old long reliever that went unprotected by the Cubs in the top 10? I don't think so. I am lower on Ramirez than most (not a C), but he's still top 10 to me as a 1B/DH. I'm a big DDLS fan. He's my #2. At age 21, he's got time to figure out plate discipline and find a home defensively, even if it's RF/DH like Stanton. My bet is he leads the Marlins in HRs in '26. -
I agree with your assessment. Why clog up the roster spot? I guess he didn't want to come here (as a NRI) unless we offered him that. We could just cut him and eat the money if he doesn't work out. He's a bench utility player that can platoon with Bride, who didn't hit LHP well last year. At least he's not another 2B and he's tall.
-
3 Jesús Luzardo mock trade proposals
Chad Turner replied to Sean McCormack's topic in Miami Marlins Talk
I get the sell high mentality, but Weathers has 4 years of control left. He will be cheap the next 2. Sell him to start '27. It's a shame Luzardo's value isn't peak right now but if teams are desperate for front line starters and willing to part with a top 100 prospect, then it's the correct move. This might go into May before it gets done, similar to Arraez. Let's pray Jesus is on fire before we betray him.- 8 replies
-
- jesus luzardo
- declan cronin
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Ely, do you think the Cubs rumors will come to fruition? It seems like both clubs just kicked the tires.
- 6 replies
-
- jesus luzardo
- mike baumann
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
He's only 21 but has over 400 AAA AB. Call him up. I don't care about the year end slump. He will adjust. We need firepower, even if he bats .210 as a rookie. He just needs to be more patient. Easy fix. I would wager that he will have the highest slugging percentage for the Marlins in '25. Stanton AA/AAA: 602 AB, .257 AVG, 38HR, .550 SLG, 162/76 K/BB D DLS in '24: 583 AB, .294 AVG, 40HR, .571 SLG, 144/34 K/BB Stanton wasn't great in RF. He would have been more DH if we had one then.
-
2025 Marlins literally have a Triple-A lineup
Chad Turner replied to Ely Sussman's topic in Miami Marlins Talk
Great article. Quad A at best. I honestly believe that a complete teardown and rebuild was necessary though. There's no way for a low budget team to compete without a top 5 farm. We were bottom 5. Other teams were grossly outspending us (and outsmarting us) in player development, It's the right move to allocate money there instead of middling FAs that no one else wants. Let the kids play! In a few years we should start seeing positive results in the major leagues from having 2 DSL teams and player development spending. . The Burger trade package had one thing in common - youth. They are all 2 years ahead of schedule. Some of our young pitching will be in AA this year. In '27 they will be pushing for MLB starting roles. Avi (and likely Sandy) will be off the books. That will be the time to break the bank and spend.- 10 replies
-
- nick fortes
- jonah bride
- (and 7 more)
-
Looks like I was right about us trying to trade Jesus and not trading Cabrera. Luzardo would free up some money and we will get 3 prospects: one good one and 2 mediocre ones. Thank you Jesus.
- 6 replies
-
- jesus luzardo
- mike baumann
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
What's the point of trading Cabrera low? The most we would get is a couple of replacement level prospects. Perhaps he gets it going before the trade deadline and we get a Rogers-like haul. If we trade anyone before opening day, it will be Luzardo IMHO. I can see us getting one decent and 2 mediocre guys back for him, and it frees up more salary. I'm with Slacker - sell high, not low.
-
Wow. Big one. I can't figure out the reason behind the $52mm signing bonus though. I do want to point out that it's more than the Marlin's current active (26-man) payroll, which is less than $48mm projected right now. How can MLB choose to have this model?
-
Marlins TV announcer Paul Severino not returning in 2025
Chad Turner replied to Ely Sussman's topic in Miami Marlins Talk
Well obviously I love Rich Waltz. But my second choice would be Kevin Barral. -
My 2024-25 Marlins offseason blueprint
Chad Turner replied to Ely Sussman's topic in Miami Marlins Talk
I'm not sure we have to protect Dax. Who is going to carry him for a full year on their MLB roster coming off TJS? We are the only team that would (Campbell, Pop). I could see a starter traded. Not sure which one, if any, this offseason. I would need a big haul and I'm not sure who would net one. The deadline would be a better time with Eury coming back around then. I could see us parting with Sandy, Brax, and/or Luzardo at that time. I agree that Stowers, Hill, Conine, and Brujan have little value, but so do most of the 70 players we marched out there. It's very hard to guess which ones they keep.- 9 replies
-
- calvin faucher
- edward cabrera
- (and 4 more)

