Jump to content
Fish On First
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Fish On First Contributor
Posted

MIAMI, FL - At this point last year, the Miami Marlins were 19-28, a few games worse than where they currently are, which is 22-28 after falling to the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday night by a final score of 9-1.

Manager Clayton McCullough couldn't pinpoint exactly what needs to change for this team to get back on track.

"I think we just have to hang in the fight," McCullough said. "Our clubhouse believes in our staff, and we know that we are certainly capable of getting on a good run and stringing some wins together and winning some series'. Right now we're just not doing that. To do that, a lot of facets have to come together and I think where we're at right now is where we're at, and we have a long road ahead of us. We just keep taking a step forward and come out tomorrow."

With Chris Sale on the mound, the Marlins had both Xavier Edwards and Otto Lopez as their top two hitters in the lineup, who combined for three of their four hits on Wednesday. From Lopez down, the only Marlin to knock in a base hit was third baseman Leo Jimenez, which came in the bottom of the fourth inning. That was the Marlins' final hit of the day.

 

Sale went seven innings of one-run ball, striking out eight without issuing a walk. The only run he allowed came in the bottom of the first inning on a sacrifice fly from Heriberto Hernandez that scored Xavier Edwards.

It marked the fifth time this season that the Marlins failed to draw a walk and the seventh time they were held without an extra-base hit. Miami went 0-for-1 with runners in scoring position.

 

"It really felt like after that first inning, he got into a really good rhythm," McCullough said. "The slider really picked up. I think he started executing at a really high level with that pitch and settled in."

The Marlins, who have said from the start that they are attacking this season with urgency, have been giving players opportunities, but with quick hooks. Some examples include optioning Agustin Ramirez and Graham Pauley along with designating Chris Paddack for assignment. After just two starts in his return to the big leagues, Braxton Garrett was optioned back down to Jacksonville as well.

One example of someone who may be on borrowed time is first baseman Christopher Morel, who is now slashing .143/.192/.184/.376 with only two extra base hits. On Wednesday, he went 0-for-3. The power that he was once lauded for has evaporated, now averaging an exit velocity of 88.8 mph, just below the league average. He is also striking out 34.6% of the time, the second-highest rate of his career. The first base experiment also hasn't been great, as he currently has a negative Outs Above Average.

The Marlins were the only Major League team interested in his services during the offseason, as teams overseas also expressed interest. He signed a one-year deal worth $2M, but is under club control until 2029. On Tuesday, after going 1-4 with three strikeouts and a costly play at first base which gave the Braves a 5-4 lead, Morel declined to speak to the media.

Current first base options on the 26-man roster include Connor Norby and Liam Hicks. Norby, who is slashing .224/.327/.367/.694 with four home runs, 14 RBI and a 99 wRC+, also has four Outs Above Average at first base and has adapted well to the position. Although undersized for the position, Hicks has broken out, now tied for the MLB lead with 42 RBI. In a limited sample size at first base this season, he grades out as a league-average player there and last season had one OAA, which is considered above average. Kyle Stowers could also play the position in a pinch. 

More first base options include Griffin Conine, who is continuing to work back from an early season injury and in the minor leagues, Deyvison De Los Santos and Jacob Berry are having nice seasons and can play the position.

If the Marlins were to move on from Morel, it would mean that two of the four free-agent signings the team made are already gone. Among position players, he would join Tim Anderson as the second hitter signed to an MLB deal by Peter Bendix to be designated for assignment.

“It’s tough for me to weigh in too much on him,” McCullough said prior to the second game of the series. “He’s only had about 35-36 plate appearances up here so far, so it’s still a very small sample size. He hit some balls hard in the Tampa series, including a really hard lineout to left, so he’s getting some good swings off.

“He also fouled off a number of pitches that he probably wishes he had done more with. With Chris, we’re going to continue to give him some at-bats and opportunities to get into a rhythm here, because with only 35 plate appearances, he’s basically four-for-four away from things looking completely different.”

Janson Junk got his season started on a high-note, but through the last three starts, he has surrendered a total of 19 runs on 25 hits. In his most recent outing, Junk allowed eight runs to a high-powered Braves offense that took game three of the four-game set by a final score of 9-1. With Junk's struggles, it brings up the question if a change should be made. Problem is, Miami is currently lacking formidable options, especially following the demotion of Braxton Garret and top prospect Thomas White being placed on the IL. Additionally, Robby Snelling is currently on the MLB IL with a UCL sprain. 

After a clean bottom of the first inning, Austin Riley took Junk deep in the following frame. The three-run homer gave the Braves a 3-1 lead.

Similar to the home run Junk allowed to Tampa Bay Rays designated hitter Yandy Díaz on Friday, he left a sweeper over the middle of the plate for Riley to take advantage of, sending it to straightaway center field.

Junk allowed five runs in the top of the sixth inning without being able to record an out. He allowed back-to-back RBI singles to Matt Olson and Ozzie Albies. Dominic Smith provided the final blow, a three-run homer which made it 8-1, immediately making manager Clayton McCullough come out to make a call to the bullpen.

The game was capped off by a Dominic Smith triple in which both Esteury Ruiz and Owen Caissie collided, causing the ball to pop out of Ruiz’s glove. On the relay throw, Ruiz missed both Otto Lopez and Javier Sanoja, sending the ball into an unreachable spot for any defender and allowing Smith to score.

The official scoring was later changed to a triple followed by an E8.

“It’s tough. Both guys are going forward in that direction,” McCullough said about the play. “Either guy could’ve made the catch. You’re trying your best to communicate, whether verbally or non-verbally, but when both guys are going full speed, those things unfortunately do happen.”

With the loss, the Marlins drop to 22-28, a season-worst six games under .500. The Marlins have a chance to go for the split on Thursday night with Sandy Alcantara on the mound. First pitch is scheduled for 6:40 pm.

 


View full article

Posted

Nice to see Morel hitting some hard foul balls.

Bendix has done 2 good things - lopez and Hicks. That is not enough to keep a job.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Fish On First SuperSub Fund
The Fish On First SuperSub Fund

We're grinding to bring you complete Miami Marlins coverage! Please support this site so it can remain the top destination for Fish fans.

×
×
  • Create New...