Today’s Marlins news roundup also includes a report on the “tentative plan” for the handling of Eury Pérez during the second half of the season.
Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Sunday’s Marlins MiLB notes: After a sixth straight multi-game, OF/INF Xavier Edwards (Jacksonville) leads the International League with a .368 batting average. C Austin Allen, OF Peyton Burdick, OF/1B Jerar Encarnación and 1B Troy Johnston all homered, putting them in a four-way tie for the Marlins minor league lead in that category with 18 each. Edward Cabrera was supposed to begin a rehab assignment with Jupiter, but did not appear in either game of their doubleheader. LHP Josh Simpson began his own rehab with the Hammerheads and struggled (0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches/13 strikes). It was another big day for 1B Torin Montgomery, who continues to lead the Florida State League in on-base percentage by a massive margin. INF Carlos Santiago‘s first hit since coming back from a PED suspension was a walk-off single.
- The Marlins head into the All-Star break having won four of their last five series. Miami’s 53-39 is second-best in the entire National League behind only the Braves. Dane Myers posted a 175 wRC+ during his first week in the majors, all but cementing himself as the club’s stopgap center fielder until Jazz Chisholm Jr. returns from injury. Jean Segura ended his first half on a very high note as well, reaching base safely in 12 straight games since coming back from his own IL stint (122 wRC+).
- With their Day 1 MLB Draft picks, the Marlins selected prep RHP Noble Meyer (10th overall), prep LHP Thomas White (35th overall) and Ole Miss OF Kemp Alderman (47th overall). I was lukewarm on these picks in the moment considering that Meyer and White will command the majority of the team’s entire bonus pool, but they’re growing on me. Extraordinary upside.
- The “tentative plan” for recently optioned Eury Pérez involves him making abbreviated minor league starts to stay in rhythm while limiting his workload, leading to a call-up in early August, Aram Leighton of Just Baseball reports. It’s completely unclear who will fill his Marlins rotation spot in the meantime as Edward Cabrera still needs to be stretched out and Johnny Cueto looks unfit for upper-minors competition, much less MLB.
- Rewinding to Saturday, INF Nasim Nuñez won the Larry Doby Award as MVP of the Futures Game. Nuñez was playing with a heavy heart, Savannah McCann of Baseball America writes, after recently losing his grandfather to lung and prostate cancer. Nuñez dedicated the game to him.
- Elsewhere around the majors, the Rays, Guardians, Rangers, Orioles, Astros and Blue Jays occupy the current American League postseason spots. The Braves, Reds, Dodgers, Marlins, Diamondbacks and Giants would be going to October on the NL side if the season ended today.
- Revisiting Marlins vs. Phillies series predictions, Alex Aguirre and Carlos Acosta made perfect picks. We’d love for you to participate in Prediction Time with us coming out of the break. Become a Fish On Fist Super Subscriber for as little as $3 per month and you’re in.
- Just like last year, our Fish On First LIVE MLB Draft reaction show drew a huge audience. With many well-regarded college bats still on the board, the Meyer pick caught most of us off guard. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- Entering the All-Star break, the Marlins have 74.3% playoff odds, per FanGraphs. Light schedule today. DSL Marlins (11:00 a.m. ET) are at home, while DSL Miami (11:00 a.m. ET) are on the road. Day 2 of the draft commences at 2:00 p.m. ET. The Marlins pick next at No. 78 overall.
- You’ve seen Marlins players do their “just keep swimming” celebration on the basepaths throughout this season, right? Our partners at BreakingT have designed a t-shirt for it! Buy yours here.
- On this day 15 years ago, Hanley Ramirez capped off his 5-for-6 night with an 11th-inning, game-winning home run against the Dodgers.
Photo courtesy of billythemarlin/Instagram