Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Tuesday’s Marlins MiLB notes: Dax Fulton will undergo UCL repair surgery that’s expected to end his 2023 season, per Craig Mish and Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. Fulton pitched just 33 innings for Double-A Pensacola before this unfortunate setback. Gabe Bierman (Beloit) tossed five no-hit innings (5.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 K). Cody Morissette (Pensacola) hit for the cycle. Compiling seven hits over the last two games has quickly changed the perception of what had otherwise been a disappointing season.
- Also from that new Miami Herald report, “all key Marlins officials are in agreement” that Eury Pérez should have his workload limited this season due to the lack of innings he threw in 2022. There’s been discussion internally about optioning him once Trevor Rogers is ready to return to the starting rotation. The 20-year-old phenom enters today with a 204 ERA+; for context, the only MLB starters better than that while facing at least 100 batters this season are Tony Gonsolin (231) and Max Fried (218). Royals catcher Salvador Pérez spoke to Mish and reiterated that “he has no intention of leaving Kansas City.” The Marlins have “monitored the catching market” for other trade options at the position.
- This week, Fish On First is launching a series on potential Marlins trade targets. You’ll find them all here.
- Elsewhere around the majors, Athletics fans organized a “reverse boycott” to voice their displeasure with owner John Fisher while demonstrating that they’ll still cheer on the A’s players themselves. The announced crowd of 27,759 set a new season high for Oakland, plus the A’s won their seventh straight game. The Royals lost their eighth straight—as well as all 14 games started by Jordan Lyles this season—and now hold MLB’s worst record.
- The Marlins have a 35.7% chance to win their series finale against the Mariners, per FanGraphs. Triple-A Jacksonville (doubleheader beginning at 12:05 p.m. ET), Double-A Pensacola (7:35 p.m. ET), High-A Beloit (7:35 p.m. ET) and FCL Marlins (12:00 p.m. ET) are at home, while Low-A Jupiter (6:35 p.m. ET) is on the road.
- Phase 1 of MLB All-Star voting continues through June 22. You can vote up to five times per email address each day—take advantage of it!
- Sandy Alcantara ranks 16th, Jesus Luzardo ranks 38th, Braxton Garrett ranks 48th, Eury Pérez ranks 50th and Edward Cabrera ranks 66th on Nick Pollack’s list of top starting pitchers for fantasy baseball.
- Pollack rewatched Luzardo’s last start and found too many instances where he made mistakes with his slider and paid for it.
- Luis Arraez received one of the 47 first-place votes in the latest MLB.com MVP Award poll. Ronald Acuña Jr. is the clear-cut National League MVP frontrunner.
- On this day 25 years ago, the lousy 1998 Marlins mounted an improbable comeback against the Mets with Todd Zeile delivering the walk-off hit.
- Happy 18th birthday to prospect Antony Peguero. Currently playing in the Florida Complex League, the Marlins outfielder owns a .282/.352/.409 slash line through his first 54 professional games.
Featured image courtesy of Miami Marlins