Today’s Marlins news roundup also includes details about Noble Meyer’s underslot deal and upcoming appearance at LoanDepot Park.
Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Thursday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: INF/OF Xavier Edwards (Jacksonville) has now stolen 23 consecutive bases without being caught, including 14 this month alone, while C Austin Allen went 3-for-5 with three doubles and four RBI. LHP Jonathan Bermudez (Pensacola), LHP Cade Gibson (Beloit) and RHP Ike Buxton (Jupiter) each had scoreless starts of at least six innings pitched. 1B Troy Johnston drove in the game-winning run for the Blue Wahoos, his 78th of the season. Newly signed draft picks LHP Kevin Vaupel and RHP Xavier Meachem each made scoreless relief appearances for the FCL Marlins. SS Erick Lara (DSL Marlins) is slashing .395/.509/.591 in his first 12 games as a pro.
- The Marlins finalized their signings of first-round draft pick RHP Noble Meyer ($4.5 million bonus) and second-rounder OF Kemp Alderman ($1.4 million), both at substantially below slot value. They will be introduced at LoanDepot Park today.
- However, Fish On First’s Kevin Barral reports that 18th-round pick LHP Tristan Dietrich will not be signing. It’s a comparable situation to RHP Evan Chrest, Miami’s late-round high school pick in 2022 who turned down a mid-six-figure bonus offer to pitch in college. Dietrich is committed to Florida International University.
- Elsewhere around the majors, the Brewers, Blue Jays, Tigers and Mariners each pitched shutouts. The Tigers game was started by trade candidate Michael Lorenzen, whose scoreless streak has reached 21 2/3 innings pitched.
- We did the latest Fish On First LIVE during Thursday’s off day! Still time for Super Subscribers to participate in Prediction Time here.
- The Marlins have a 65.0% chance to win their series opener against the Rockies, per FanGraphs. Double-A Pensacola (7:35 p.m. ET), High-A Beloit (7:35 p.m. ET) and DSL Marlins (11:00 a.m. ET) are at home, while Triple-A Jacksonville (7:35 p.m. ET), Low-A Jupiter (6:35 p.m. ET), FCL Marlins (12:00 p.m. ET) and DSL Miami (11:00 a.m. ET) are on the road.
- Do you have a business or special cause that you’re trying to promote? We are seeking a sponsor for our @MarlinsSpaces account! Somebody we can promote before/during/after each of our Marlins Twitter Spaces. Email Ely.Sussman@gmail.com for more information.
- On Fish Unfiltered, we go through our updated ranking of the best prospects in the Marlins organization. Dane Myers is the biggest riser (from an honorable mention to No. 10) since May’s version of the FOF Top 30.
- MLB Pipeline mentions Patrick Monteverde (our No. 25 prospect) as possible trade bait for the Marlins as the deadline approaches.
- Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald got clubhouse reaction to the Marlins’ season-long six-game losing streak.
- FanGraphs’ annual Trade Value series ranks Sandy Alcantara at No. 17 and Eury Pérez at No. 18. No other Marlins cracked their top 50.