Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Thursday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: 1B Troy Johnston (Jacksonville) went the other way for his 26th home run, though his teammates combined for only one additional hit the rest of the game. OF Jake Thompson and INF Josh Zamora each hit their first homers at the Double-A level. Pensacola RHP Zach McCambley pitched his longest outing of the season (2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K). OF Jorge Caballero (Beloit) went 4-for-4 with two doubles. INF Johnny Olmstead (Jupiter) raised his Low-A slugging percentage to .550, the highest mark of anybody who has played multiple games for the Hammerheads this season.
- After a brief start by Braxton Garrett, the Marlins bullpen allowed nine runs to the Dodgers. George Soriano and Devin Smeltzer combined to strike out only one of their 29 batters faced. It took the Miami offense until the seventh inning to record a hit.
- Sandy Alcantara (right forearm flexor strain) is traveling with the Marlins on their road trip to Philadelphia and Milwaukee. In hindsight, perhaps the injury should not have totally blindsided us—he hinted during Sunday’s postgame interview that something had changed. Hopefully prior to tonight’s game, we’ll get more clarity about the severity.
- NL Wild Card race updates: the Diamondbacks won, while the Cubs lost. The Marlins are a half-game back of the third Wild Card spot.
- Elsewhere around the majors, Matt Olson hit his MLB-leading 47th home run and Ronald Acuña Jr. hit both his 33rd and 34th. Former No. 1 overall MLB Draft pick Spencer Torkelson is putting it all together, slashing .289/.405/.722 over the last 30 days for the Tigers.
- We’ve got a new episode of Fish On First LIVE streaming tonight at 6:00 p.m. ET on YouTube/Twitch/Twitter. Super Subscribers, submit your series predictions before first pitch. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- The Marlins have a 45.8% chance to win their series opener against the Phillies, per FanGraphs. Triple-A Jacksonville (7:05 p.m. ET), Double-A Pensacola (7:35 p.m. ET), High-A Beloit (7:35 p.m. ET) and Low-A Jupiter (6:30 p.m. ET) are all on the road.
- As part of his series of MLB bullpen reviews, veteran MLB reliever Trevor Rosenthal grades the LoanDepot Park setup as an 8/10.
- MLB Network is announcing the nominees for the 2023 Roberto Clemente Award this morning. It is bestowed annually to the player who best represents the game of baseball, both on and off the field. The Marlins’ 2022 nominee was Pablo López.
- Happy 22nd birthday to Victor Mesa Jr. It’s been an encouraging though inconsistent season for the Marlins outfield prospect at Double-A. He has caught fire again recently with seven homers and only 11 strikeouts over his last 16 games. It’s looking increasingly likely that he could be a passable defender in CF at the highest level.