- Saturday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: Every Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp starter recorded at least one hit. INF Jacob Amaya homered to extend his on-base streak to 20 games. LHP Ryan Weathers had his scoreless streak snapped at 17 innings. Overall, he had a 2.54 ERA in seven Triple-A starts after being acquired by the Marlins at the trade deadline.
- After struggling earlier in the week, Tanner Scott had a bounce-back outing to secure the Marlins’ 32nd one-run win of the season. It was Miami’s 80th victory overall, the franchise’s highest in a season since 2010. Matt Moore made his Marlins debut and also pitched a scoreless inning.
- Sandy Alcantara (right UCL sprain) is officially out for the season. So is Eury Pérez (left SI joint inflammation) after an 128-inning workload. Luis Arraez will be taking it day by day after aggravating his ankle injury in a uniquely frustrating way.
- Pérez became the first pitcher since José Fernández (2013) to throw at least 90 MLB innings in his age-20 season. Despite a mediocre September, his rookie campaign was unequivocally a success (143 ERA+) and he’ll head into next year as a lock to crack the Marlins starting rotation.
- NL Wild Card race updates: the Cubs won, the Giants and Reds lost, and the Diamondbacks were rained out. Cincinnati led 9-0 over the Pirates and somehow blew it. The Marlins are one game back of the third Wild Card spot.
- Elsewhere around the majors, Mookie Betts set a new MLB modern era record for RBI from the leadoff spot in a single season. The Padres’ eight-game win streak was snapped. They are an astonishing 0-12 in extra-inning games this season.
- The Marlins have a 48.8% chance to win their series finale against the Brewers, per FanGraphs. There will be a pregame ceremony honoring the organization’s 2023 minor league award winners. All fans in attendance get a 2024 magnet schedule and are invited to do the “Diamond Dash” following the game. Triple-A Jacksonville (1:05 p.m. ET) is on the road for their final game of the season. Double-A Pensacola (5:30 p.m. ET) is on the road for Game 1 of the Southern League Championship Series.
- Here are my scouting and statistical notes on each of the Marlins’ Arizona Fall League participants.
- Happy birthday to Marlins LHP Patrick Monteverde (26). He led the Marlins farm system in strikeouts this season and represented them in the All-Star Futures Game. Monteverde figures to be a non-roster invitee to 2024 spring training.
Photo by Danis Sosa/Fish On First