Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Friday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: SS Jacob Amaya (Jacksonville) extended his on-base streak to 19 games. The Marlins will be sending INF Jacob Berry, RHP Gabe Bierman, RHP Ike Buxton, RHP Breidy Encarnación, RHP Zach McCambley, C Paul McIntosh, SS Nasim Nunez and LHP Dale Stanavich to participate in the Arizona Fall League.
- The Marlins suffered their most lopsided loss of the season. Bryan Hoeing allowed hits to eight of the first nine batters he faced, part of a 12-run second inning for the Brewers. It got so ugly that Jacob Stallings was asked to pitch the last two frames.
- Sandy Alcantara (right UCL sprain) is unofficially out for the year after experiencing more forearm tightness. Now the question is whether his injury is realistically treatable with rest or whether elbow surgery could be coming this offseason (impacting his 2024 campaign).
- NL Wild Card race updates: the Cubs and Giants won, while the Diamondbacks and Reds lost. Aaron Judge dismantled the D-backs himself by going 4-for-4 with three home runs, a double and six runs batted in. The Marlins are one game back of the third Wild Card spot.
- Elsewhere around the majors, left-hander Sean Doolittle announced his retirement. Used exclusively as a reliever, the 2019 World Series champion and two-time All-Star selection had a career 3.20 ERA in 450.2 IP, mainly for the Athletics and the Nationals. The Twins clinched the AL Central title. Ronald Acuña Jr. blasted his 40th home run, a milestone that could go a long way toward locking up the NL MVP award. The Padres won their eighth straight game and Manny Machado reached 30 homers for the seventh time in his career.
- The latest episode of Fish On First LIVE mourned the loss of Alcantara, lauded the talent on Milwaukee’s pitching staff and pondered the future of Craig Counsell. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- The Marlins have a 50.6% chance to win their next game against the Brewers, per FanGraphs. Triple-A Jacksonville (7:35 p.m. ET) is on the road.
- Jason Wang of Brewer Fanatic likes Milwaukee’s chances of exploiting the inconsistent Marlins bullpen if the teams were to face off in the NL Wild Card Series. Those comments look awfully prescient in light of Friday’s game.
- I enjoyed Braxton Garrett’s interview on Miami Mic’d Up (embedded above), particularly the part where he describes the importance of “managing his misses.”
- I also enjoyed “investigating” the opposing pitcher who gives Jazz Chisholm Jr. a lot of trouble despite being “not good” overall.
- On this day 20 years ago, Jeff Conine’s home run ignited a five-run seventh inning for the Marlins to help beat the Phillies.
Photo by Carmen Mandato/Getty Images