Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Wednesday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: Devin Smeltzer (Jacksonville) left his start in the first inning with an injury. Congratulations to Low-A Jupiter on clinching the Florida State League championship! It’s Jupiter’s first-ever FSL title (the affiliate was founded in 2002). OF Kemp Alderman had a particularly great postseason run, slashing .313/.478/.563 with six walks in five games. LHP Evan Taylor recorded the final out and also deserves a shoutout. Regular season and postseason combined, he converted 22 of his 23 save opportunities.
- The Marlins were still within striking distance in the bottom of the fifth, trailing the Mets 3-1, when they made a pair of outs on the bases that halted their momentum. Jazz Chisholm Jr. attempted to stretch a single into a double with no outs, then Jorge Soler ran into an inning-ending double play trying to tag and score on a shallow fly ball. Series MVP Jeff McNeil recorded the assist on both plays.
- The Mets clinched the season series against the Marlins in front of another sparse crowd. Despite there being so much at stake, LoanDepot Park only drew an average of 12,506 fans over the last three days.
- Luis Arraez missed another game with a sprained ankle and now Jake Burger (quad tightness) has his own injury concern.
- This concludes a stretch of 16 straight games without an off day for the Marlins. They held up solidly by going 9-7. Their outlook for the final nine games would obviously seem brighter if Burger and/or Arraez are available to return against the Brewers.
- NL Wild Card race updates: the Diamondbacks, Phillies and Reds won, while the Cubs and Giants lost. Justin Steele struggled against the Pirates (3.0 IP, 8 H, 6 ER, 0 BB, 6 K), paving the way for Blake Snell to lock up the NL Cy Young award. The Marlins are a half-game back of the third Wild Card spot.
- Elsewhere around the majors, presumptive NL Rookie of the Year Corbin Carroll (D-backs) has compiled 25 home runs and 50 stolen bases. Nolan Schanuel (Angels) has now reached base safely in 24 straight games to begin his MLB career. The Padres have won seven games in a row.
- Triple-A Jacksonville (7:35 p.m. ET) is on the road. Double-A Pensacola (7:05 p.m. ET) is hosting Game 2 of the Southern League Division Series (Blue Wahoos lead, 1-0).
- Jesús Luzardo and A.J.Puk got a taste of postseason baseball at the beginning of their major league careers. Kevin Barral spoke to them about how they’re utilizing that experience this time around.
- Cristian Crespo of Just Baseball breaks down the successful center field transition of Jazz Chisholm Jr.
- Christina De Nicola of MLB.com has a long feature on Luis Arraez’s professional baseball journey.
- Michael Baumann of FanGraphs marvels at how Tanner Scott has dramatically increased his first-pitch strike percentage from last year to this year.
- On this day five years ago, Marlins rookie Isaac Galloway broke a scoreless tie with a walk-off double in 10th.
Photo courtesy of Jupiter Hammerheads