Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Monday’s Marlins MiLB notes: RHP Jonathan Bermudez (Pensacola) won Southern League Pitcher of the Week for the final week of the league’s regular season.
- The Marlins suffered a rare one-run loss. Tanner Scott‘s seven-week streak without allowing an earned run was snapped by Jeff McNeil‘s game-deciding homer. However, the far bigger culprit was Miami’s offense, which couldn’t muster any extra-base hits. Jorge Soler came extremely close to blasting a two-run shot off the left-field scoreboard in the bottom of the sixth. A crew chief review concluded that it twisted foul.
- Luis Arraez became the first Marlins player since 2017 to reach 200 hits in a single season. Arraez is doubtful to set the franchise single-season hits record, currently held by Juan Pierre (221), but he’s on track to finish second on that list if he starts all of the club’s remaining games.
- Sandy Alcantara (right UCL sprain) threw his second bullpen session since landing on the injured list. No determination yet on whether he needs additional bullpen work or can progress to facing live hitters. It’s clear that Alcantara will not have time to be fully stretched out as a starter again, but he remains hopeful about returning to game action in 2023. Personally, I can only see that happening if the Fish make the playoffs.
- NL Wild Card race updates: the Phillies and Reds won. The Reds designated Hunter Renfroe for assignment and placed Harrison Bader on the injured list with a right groin strain. Those newsworthy waiver claims turned out to be very inconsequential after all. The Marlins are a half-game back of the third Wild Card spot.
- Elsewhere around the majors, the Rays are set to announce the details of a new domed ballpark located near Tropicana Field. It’s expected to be ready for the 2028 season. Adam Wainwright pitched his best game of the season (7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K) and earned his 200th career win.
- The latest Fish On First LIVE episode covered Alcantara’s progress and key players on the Mets. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- The Marlins have a 52.2% chance to win their next game against the Mets, per FanGraphs. Triple-A Jacksonville (7:35 p.m. ET) is on the road. Double-A Pensacola (7:35 p.m. ET) is playing Game 1 of the Southern League Division Series and Single-A Jupiter (6:30 p.m. ET) is playing Game 2 of the Florida State League Championship Series, a win away from clinching the title.
- The majority of Fish On First Twitter followers (59.1%) believe the Marlins can average an announced attendance of at least 20,000 fans during this final week of regular season home games. Not off to an encouraging start—only 14,577 showed up on Monday.
- This month, we began posting 2023 season highlight packages for notable Marlins prospects. Another one will go up tonight! Subscribe to the Fish On First YouTube channel.
- Xavier Edwards is Baseball America’s choice for 2023 Marlins Minor League Player of the Year. Edwards is almost assured of winning the International League batting title while playing four different defensive positions and stealing 32 bases.
Photo by Alie Skowronski/Miami Herald