Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Wednesday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: No extra-base hits for Jacksonville in their 2-1 loss. RHP Ike Buxton (Pensacola) tossed four scoreless innings in his Double-A debut and finished the minor league regular season with a 2.45 earned run average in 77 innings pitched across three levels. C Will Banfield hit his 23rd home run.
- Braxton Garrett racked up seven strikeouts, his most in a start since June 22, and the Marlins defense turned three double plays. Tanner Scott hasn’t allowed any earned runs in his last 16 appearances.
- Sandy Alcantara began a throwing progression and feels pain-free, but the Marlins are going to be very careful with their workhorse after an MRI revealed a sprain to his UCL.
- Principal owner Bruce Sherman still won’t say whether he’s retaining Kim Ng as general manager beyond this season, per Craig Mish and Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. They also report that Jorge Soler (right oblique strain) is “hopeful he can return in the final week of the season.”
- NL Wild Card race updates: the Giants and Reds won, while the Cubs, Diamondbacks and Phillies lost. The Marlins are a half-game back of the third Wild Card spot.
- Elsewhere around the majors, the Nationals announced a multi-year extension for Mike Rizzo to continue leading their baseball operations department. Max Scherzer (right teres major muscle strain) will miss the rest of the regular season and likely the entire postseason as well, assuming the Rangers even make it there without him. Scherzer’s 3.77 ERA was his worst for a single season since 2011 and his 4.33 FIP was worse than ever. The Braves clinched their sixth consecutive NL East title. Five Astros pitchers took a combined no-hit bid into the ninth inning before the Athletics spoiled it.
- The Marlins have a 45.9% chance to win their series finale against the Brewers, per FanGraphs. Triple-A Jacksonville (7:05 p.m. ET) and Double-A Pensacola (7:35 p.m. ET) are at home. Single-A Jupiter (6:30 p.m. ET) is the nominal road team for Game 2 of their best-of-three Florida State League playoff series.
- According to Pensacola Blue Wahoos writer Bill Vilona, the plan for Sixto Sánchez is to “pitch again in the near future and be able to go an extra inning or two.” Sánchez looked extremely rusty over the course of 18 pitches on Tuesday in his 2023 MiLB debut.
- Best of luck to Melissa Hampton, who has left the Marlins organization after seven seasons. She had spent the last two years as the athletic trainer for Double-A Pensacola.
Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images