Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Thursday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: 1B Troy Johnston (Jacksonville) has reached base safely in all 30 games he’s played with the Jumbo Shrimp this season. Nice final line for Edward Cabrera despite being relatively inefficient with his 98 pitches (5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K). The walk-less streak for INF Yiddi Cappe (Beloit) is up to 29 games, though he did reach safely on a hit by pitch. LHP Thomas White (Jupiter) threw 40 pitches in his full-season debut (1.2 IP, 1 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K). Having gone 12 days since his last game appearance, Tommy Nance was assigned to the Hammerheads just to get some work in (1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K).
- The Marlins put in waiver claims for Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo López and Matt Moore. They were poised to deepen both their starting rotation and bullpen for the final month of regular season competition! Then the Guardians intervened, acquiring all three veteran pitchers for themselves. Although the Marlins can still make outside additions during September, Thursday was the final day for players changing organizations to be postseason-eligible for their new teams.
- The Marlins went 10-17 in August, their worst record for any month in 2023. Aside from Josh Bell and Jake Burger of course, A.J. Puk was one of the few bright spots (10.0 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 15 K).
- Only five hard-hit balls for the Nationals on Thursday, tied for the 9th-fewest by any Marlins opponent this season.
- NL Wild Card race updates: the Giants won. The Marlins are three games back of the third Wild Card spot.
- Elsewhere around the majors, Ronald Acuña Jr. became the first MLB player ever to hit 30-plus homers and steal 60-plus bases in a single season. The Braves just barely held off the Dodgers for a thrilling 8-7 win. The White Sox named Chris Getz as their new general manager. The Sox are promoting from within barely a week after firing top baseball executives Kenny Williams and Rick Hahn.
- The latest Fish On First LIVE had much more reaction to Miami’s lack of waiver wire pick-ups. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- The Marlins have a 59.7% chance to win their next game against the Nationals, per FanGraphs. Triple-A Jacksonville (doubleheader beginning at 5:05 p.m. ET), Double-A Pensacola (7:35 p.m. ET), High-A Beloit (7:35 p.m. ET) and Single-A Jupiter (6:30 p.m. ET) are all at home.
- Active rosters expand today from 26 spots to 28. I can confirm the report from Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald that INF Xavier Edwards is getting one of those spots. Leading the Triple-A International League batting title race, Edwards has been splitting time defensively between second base, third base and shortstop in recent weeks. He played in nine big league games earlier this season.
- Glenn Geffner’s View from the Bleachers analyzes the excellence and historical significance of Eury Pérez‘s first 15 MLB starts.
- Enrollment for 2024 Marlins memberships is now open. The lowest price point averages out to $11 per game. Early enrollment continues through Sept. 5.
- Farewell to Jason Latimer, the Marlins senior vice president of communications and outreach. Back in 2018, which was his first year with the franchise, Latimer reached out to me at Fish Stripes to get acquainted and facilitate on-site credentialed coverage. Had he not opened the door for us back then, who knows what I’d be doing now or whether Fish On First would even exist. Thanks to Jason for his half-decade of assistance.
- Our partners at Homage have Flashback Friday-flavored products in their Miami Marlins collection. Shop here.
Photo by Greg Fiume/Getty Images