Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Sunday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: 1B Troy Johnston (Jacksonville) regained the organizational lead with his 24th home run of the season. Jorge Alfaro was the only Jumbo Shrimp hitter who didn’t contribute to their win. He’s slashing .138/.194/.172 in seven games since signing his minor league deal with the Marlins. Not making a convincing case to be called up barring injury to a big league catcher. OF Brett Roberts (Jupiter) went 3-for-4 with 4 RBI and OF Jake DeLeo hit the game-winning home run for the Hammerheads. Pitching in relief, RHP Xavier Meachem earned his first professional win.
- Among MLB pitchers with at least 15 games started this season, Eury Pérez ranks third with a 2.68 earned run average. There are nine such pitchers with a sub-3.00 ERA and all of the others are at least 28 years old. Eury is only 20.
- Since debuting with the Marlins, David Robertson is dead last among all MLB pitchers in win probability added. He was elite in that department prior to the trade. The Marlins removed him from the closer’s role prior to Sunday’s game, as Craig Mish of SportsGrid first reported, hence why Tanner Scott recorded the save instead.
- Jorge Soler mashed his 10th home run of August and his 35th of the season. He’s now sixth on the all-time Marlins single-season homer list behind only Marcell Ozuna, Gary Sheffield and Giancarlo Stanton (x3).
- Listen back to our weekly State of the Fish Twitter Space hosted by Grant Kiefer. It’s also been uploaded to our podcast feed as usual.
- NL Wild Card race updates: the Cubs, Diamondbacks, Giants and Phillies won, while the Reds lost. The Marlins are three games back of the third Wild Card spot.
- Elsewhere around the majors, Freddie Freeman (.341) has surged to within nine points of Luis Arraez (.350) in the NL batting title race. Returning to Fenway Park for the first time as an opposing player, Mookie Betts went 7-for-15 against his former club with extra-base hits in each game of the series. The Brewers have won eight in a row and may have buried the Padres’ playoff hopes once and for all by sweeping them.
- With 10 series remaining in the MLB regular season, Daniel Rodriguez is still clinging to a slim lead in our 2023 Prediction Time contest. All Super Subscribers are encouraged to play along with us.
- Entering this new week, the Marlins have 17.5% playoff odds, per FanGraphs. That’s the lowest they’ve been since May.
- Alex Krutchik examines the extreme splits that Marlins hitters have depending on whether they’re facing starters or relievers. All three of the underwhelming arms used by the Nats this past weekend enjoyed quality starts against them.
- Placed on the paternity list Friday, George Soriano is due back on the Marlins active roster for the start of the Citrus Series. Tommy Nance is the most likely candidate to be optioned in a corresponding move. Nance wasn’t used in any of the last four games despite being active that entire time.
- The Jazz Chisholm Foundation is holding its launch event tonight in Miami. Many of Chisholm’s Marlins teammates are expected to attend, including Sandy Alcantara, Luis Arraez, Josh Bell, Jesús Luzardo and Eury Pérez. Isaac Azout and Kevin Barral will cover the event for Fish On First.
Photo by Megan Briggs/Getty Images