Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Tuesday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: Garrett Hampson (Jacksonville) went 3-for-4. He’s hitting .397 in 13 Triple-A games since being optioned earlier this month. C/1B Bennett Hostetler (Pensacola) now has nine home runs since the beginning of July, during which time he’s slashing .333/.416/.731. Former Marlins prospect INF Kahlil Watson played against Beloit as a member of the Lake County Captains. He went 0-for-6 with four strikeouts. The FCL Marlins finished their season with a 27-25 record. Expect several players from that roster to get bumped up to the Hammerheads, most obviously undrafted free agent 1B Angelo DiSpigna (.373/.515/.627 slash line in 17 FCL games).
- Jesús Luzardo allowed only three baserunners in six scoreless innings against the Padres as the Marlins pitched their first shutout since June 29. Andrew Nardi‘s inning of relief was particularly electric—he struck out the side in the bottom of the seventh and threw the four fastest pitches of his MLB career (topping out at 98.8 mph).
- Avisaíl García strained his left hamstring while stepping on the first base bag. He’s destined for an injured list stint with no guarantee of returning before season’s end. The Marlins could go in several different directions with their corresponding call-up move, but I think it’s time for Triple-A hitting king Xavier Edwards to get another shot. He could be the team’s backup at second base, third base and shortstop with Jon Berti receiving a larger share of his playing time in left field. However, I suspect the Marlins will instead recall the versatile veteran Hampson despite his more limited ceiling as a player.
- NL Wild Card race updates: the Diamondbacks, Phillies and Reds won, while the Cubs and Giants lost. Zac Gallen‘s 14th win tied him for the major league lead in that department. The Marlins are one game back of the third Wild Card spot.
- Elsewhere around the majors, the Rays placed Wander Franco on administrative leave. The most recent high-profile major leaguer to be given that treatment was Trevor Bauer in 2021, who went through his own legal troubles and was ultimately released by the Dodgers. The Mariners collected their eighth consecutive win to move within a game of the AL West division lead. Mike Trout went 1-for-4 in his return from a seven-week IL stint.
- The Marlins have a 42.9% chance to win their series finale against the Padres, per FanGraphs. High-A Beloit (7:35 p.m. ET) and Low-A Jupiter (6:30 p.m. ET) are at home, while Triple-A Jacksonville (6:15 p.m. ET) and Double-A Pensacola (7:35 p.m. ET) are on the road.
- Covering at Petco Park, our own Isaac Azout interviewed old friend Garrett Cooper about his trade deadline deal, his early impressions of the Padres and favorite memories from his Marlins tenure. Please subscribe to the Fish On First YouTube account!
- Our partners at FOCO have dozens of products in their Miami Marlins collection. Shop here.
Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images