Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Monday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: LHP Thomas White (FCL Marlins) made his professional debut by pitching during the resumption of a previously suspended game (0.2 IP, 0 H, 4 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K). History will suggest that he debuted on August 8, but now you know better. RHP Elian Serrata (DSL Marlins) wrapped up his great 2023 campaign with a scoreless relief appearance (2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K). The 21-year-old Dominican lowered his ERA to 2.01 and struck out 34.8% of total batters faced. DSL Marlins concluded their regular season with a 22-30 record, while DSL Miami went 18-35.
- Facing the team that traded him away earlier this month, Ryan Weathers issued a career-high five walks and allowed a grand slam to Ha-Seong Kim. Weathers started in place of Johnny Cueto, who landed on the 15-day IL with a viral infection. Bookmark our Marlins injury/rehab tracker!
- Because he was not recalled, Edward Cabrera‘s Triple-A Jacksonville stint has surpassed the 20-day threshold, officially exhausting his final minor league option. The enigmatic right-hander will be out of options entering 2024.
- During a play at home plate in the first inning of Monday’s contest, Fernando Tatis Jr.‘s left elbow struck Nick Fortes in the head. After several minutes of evaluation, Fortes remained in the game. He’s expected to start again tonight (as he usually does when Jesús Luzardo is on the mound).
- NL Wild Card race updates: the Phillies, Cubs and Diamondbacks, while the Giants lost. The Marlins are 1.5 games back of the third Wild Card spot.
- Elsewhere around the majors, the Nationals have extended manager Dave Martinez through 2025 with a club option for 2026, and they also have a deal in the works with GM Mike Rizzo. Both Martinez and Rizzo held those positions with the organization when the Nats won the World Series in 2019.
- Check out the latest Fish On First LIVE episode featuring former Marlins radio announcer Glenn Geffner. Find him writing daily about the Marlins and Major League Baseball on his View from the Bleachers Substack newsletter. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- The Marlins have a 39.8% chance to win their next game against the Padres, per FanGraphs. High-A Beloit (7:35 p.m. ET), Low-A Jupiter (6:30 p.m.) and DSL Miami (11:00 a.m. ET) are at home, while Triple-A Jacksonville (6:15 p.m. ET), Double-A Pensacola (7:35 p.m. ET), FCL Marlins (10:00 a.m. ET) and DSL Marlins (11:00 a.m. ET) are on the road.
- We’re in the midst of releasing a four-part Swimming Upstream megapod in which Alex Carver and Kevin Barral spotlighted dozens of Marlins prospects spanning all levels of the organization. Find it by subscribing to Fish On First wherever you get your podcasts.
- Sandy Alcantara ranks 12th, Eury Pérez ranks 35th, Jesús Luzardo ranks 36th and Braxton Garrett ranks 82nd on The List of Top 100 starting pitchers for fantasy baseball created by Nick Pollack of Pitcher List.
- Fish On First has a new intern: Mykanthony Valdez. He’ll be contributing to our multi-platform Marlins coverage and working behind the scenes to make this community even better. Follow him on Twitter.
Photo by Matt Thomas/San Diego Padres/Getty Images