Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Sunday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: INF/OF Xavier Edwards (Jacksonville) started another game at shortstop. 1B Troy Johnston hit his 23rd home run of the season, tying him for the Marlins MiLB lead. 1B Jacob Berry (Pensacola) went 3-for-4 with 3 RBI. The switch-hitter has been particularly hot from the right side of the plate since joining the Blue Wahoos (slashing .333/.387/.704 in 31 PA). OF Jake Thompson (Beloit) extended his on-base streak to 14 games. Thompson has a .579 OBP during that red-hot stretch. Rehabbing from a right rib cage strain, JT Chargois (Jupiter) made another relief appearance (2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 34 pitches/24 strikes). He’s on track to be reinstated from the IL within the next week. INF Ian Lewis stole two more bases, racking up 10 of those during the Hammerheads’ series against St. Lucie.
- The Marlins signed INF JT Mabry as an undrafted free agent. He’s the son of assistant hitting coach John Mabry. The 23-year-old right-handed hitter played five seasons at Middle Tennessee State, slashing .325/.362/.479 this past spring.
- Luis Arraez‘s .220 batting average over the last 15 games is his lowest for any 15-game period since August/September 2022.
- Listen to the recording of our weekly State of the Fish Marlins call-in show. As usual, the panel covered a wide variety of topics ranging from Jordan Groshans‘ stunted development to David Robertson‘s postgame interview. Become a Super Subscriber if you’d like priority to speak on the next Twitter Space. (Here is the Robertson interview in question.)
- NL Wild Card race updates: the Cubs and Giants won, while the Phillies and Reds lost. The Marlins are one game back of the third Wild Card spot.
- Elsewhere around the majors, Dallas Keuchel carried a perfect game into the seventh inning against the Pirates. The Twins won and increased their AL Central lead to a season-high six games over the Guardians. After getting swept by the rival Red Sox, the Yankees have lost eight straight games, their longest skid since 1995.
- We’ve got a new episode of Fish On First LIVE streaming tonight at 8:30 p.m. ET on YouTube/Twitch/Twitter. Special guest: former Marlins radio announcer Glenn Geffner! Super Subscribers, submit your series predictions before first pitch. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- Entering this new week, the Marlins have 36.6% playoff odds, per FanGraphs. They have a 31.6% chance to win their series opener against the Padres. FCL Marlins (12:00 p.m. ET) and DSL Marlins (doubleheader beginning at 11:00 a.m. ET) are at home, while DSL Miami (11:00 a.m. ET) is on the road. Highly touted draft pick LHP Thomas White is expected to make his professional debut in the FCL Marlins game.
- We’re in the midst of releasing a four-part Swimming Upstream megapod in which Alex Carver and Kevin Barral spotlighted dozens of Marlins prospects spanning all levels of the organization. Find it by subscribing to Fish On First wherever you get your podcasts.
- Jazz Chisholm Jr. has started his own foundation to support young athletes and their families from high-need communities in Florida and the Bahamas. Speaking to Christina De Nicola of MLB.com, he shares aspirations to expand the foundation’s reach beyond just baseball. There’s a launch event on August 28. The Jazz Chisholm Foundation Little League will play its first season this fall in Nassau, Bahamas.
- Glenn Geffner’s View from the Bleachers dissects the Marlins’ remaining 2023 schedule.
- Nick Pollack of Pitcher List rewatched the first inning of Jesús Luzardo‘s last start and came away cautiously optimistic about Luzardo being capable of breaking out of his recent slump.
Photo by Harry How/Getty Images