Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Wednesday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: The Blue Wahoos suffered their eighth straight loss with the only Pensacola offense coming courtesy of C Will Banfield‘s 17th home run of the season. In what was presumably the final outing of his minor league rehab assignment, Tommy Nance went two perfect innings in relief. RHP Josh White, RHP Kyle Crigger and LHP Caleb Wurster combined to pitch a shutout for Beloit. INF/OF Javier Sanoja went 4-for-5 and is now hitting .361 since his promotion. INF Ian Lewis (Jupiter) stole five bases, including home. He ranks fifth in the Marlins organization with 26 steals.
- In just four combined innings, Jesús Luzardo and Jorge López allowed 10 of the 12 Astros runs on Wednesday. This sacrifice fly was the ultimate turning point. Great throw by Jesús Sánchez, but it was quite enough to get Chas McCormick at the plate. Houston piled on five more runs soon after that. Since the All-Star break, Luzardo’s ERA has ballooned nearly a full run from 3.29 to 4.13.
- NL Wild Card race updates: the Cubs, Diamondbacks, Padres, Phillies and Reds won, while the Giants lost. The Marlins are now percentage points behind the Cubs for the third Wild Card spot.
- Elsewhere around the majors, the Dodgers extended their winning streak to 10 games. Only the Braves have a higher winning percentage than them this season. The Yankees have lost five in a row to drop below .500 for the first time in 2023.
- Fish Unfiltered did a sitdown interview with Josh Bell. Check it out wherever you get your podcasts! We’d appreciate a five-star rating and review for the FOF channel, too.
- We’ve got a new episode of Fish On First LIVE streaming tonight at 8:00 p.m. ET on YouTube/Twitch/Twitter. Special guests: Danis Sosa. Super Subscribers, submit your series predictions before first pitch. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- Double-A Pensacola (7:35 p.m. ET), FCL Marlins (12:00 p.m. ET) and DSL Marlins (11:00 a.m. ET) are at home, while Triple-A Jacksonville (7:05 p.m. ET), High-A Beloit (7:30 p.m. ET), Low-A Jupiter (6:10 p.m. ET) and DSL Miami (11:00 a.m. ET) are on the road.
- Yuli Gurriel reflected on his seven seasons in an Astros uniform (via Jordan McPherson, Miami Herald). “That organization likes to win games,” Gurriel said. “I will say that’s one of the things that I brought into here (to Miami).”
- Ethan Salzberg of the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp takes us through the background of LHP Enmanuel De Jesús. De Jesús describes representing Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic last March and recovering from the elbow injury he suffered soon after that. The 26-year-old had been a staple of the Jumbo Shrimp rotation from late May through early August, but he’s been bumped to the bullpen following the acquisition of Ryan Weathers and demotion of Edward Cabrera.
- Zack Meisel of The Athletic details how Jim Eisenreich overcame the challenges of his Tourette Syndrome to put together a lengthy MLB career, which included a role on the 1997 World Series-winning Marlins.
- Happy 27th birthday to LHP Jefry Yan. He’s been a strikeout machine throughout his three seasons in the Marlins organization. Yan has obliterated left-handed batters in 2023, holding them to a .088 BA with a 42.5 K%. Poor control casts serious doubt on this Dominican reliever ever sticking in the majors, but it’s a delight to watch him celebrate every time he finishes off a win.
Photo by Will Newton/Getty Images