Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Luis Arraez finished eighth in NL MVP voting, appearing on 22 of the 30 BBWAA ballots. It’s the second straight year that a Marlins player has received NL MVP votes (Sandy Alcantara placed 10th in 2022) and the best finish for any Marlin since Giancarlo Stanton won the award himself in 2017.
- In an “unprecedented collaboration” between Minor League Baseball and the Mexican League, the Pensacola Blue Wahoos will host a two-game exhibition series against Sultanes de Monterrey next April. The exhibitions will take place right before the start of Pensacola’s 2024 regular season schedule.
- Fish On First caught up with former Marlins pitcher Pablo López on Thursday at his pickleball event encouraging pet adoption.
- Elsewhere around baseball, MLB owners voted unanimously to allow the Athletics to move from Oakland to Las Vegas. They’ll still play the 2024 season in Oakland, but it’s unclear what will happen from 2025-2027 while they wait for the Vegas ballpark to be constructed. Commissioner Rob Manfred also announced that Atlanta will host the 2025 MLB All-Star Game (the Texas Rangers are hosting in 2024). The Braves made a six-player trade to acquire White Sox reliever Aaron Bummer. This season, Bummer had by far MLB’s largest ERA-to-FIP disparity among qualified relievers, so they’re clearly anticipating that will normalize moving forward.
- I stated previously that the Marlins erred in allowing Jorge Soler to hit free agency without issuing him a qualifying offer (which he almost certainly would have rejected). Bruce Sherman says that although Peter Bendix “had an opinion” on that situation, the call was made by assistant general managers Brian Chattin, Dan Greenlee and Oz Ocampo (h/t Christina De Nicola, MLB.com). Discouraging start to the offseason between that and Troy Johnston‘s 40-man roster snub.
- Speaking of Johnston, Hans Herrera has a new FanPost ranting about the Rule 5 protection deadline and where the Marlins roster currently stands.
- More transactions seem inevitable in advance of today’s non-tender deadline. Marlins players Luis Arraez, Jesús Luzardo, Tanner Scott, Jacob Stallings, Jazz Chisholm Jr., Jesús Sánchez, A.J. Puk, Trevor Rogers, Garrett Hampson, JT Chargois, Steven Okert and Anthony Bender are eligible for arbitration in 2024. The Marlins can cut them with no strings attached if they feel any of them aren’t worth their projected arb raises.
- Fish On First has partnered with the Marlins Discord server! You can join the server for free to participate in around-the-clock Fish talk. There is also a private channel reserved for our valued Super Subscribers.
- Jorge Soler (DH), Luis Arraez (2B), Jake Burger (3B) and Tanner Scott (RP) are on the 2023 All-MLB ballot. Vote for them through Sunday.
Photo by Michael Zagaris/Oakland Athletics