Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Tuesday’s winter ball notes: Dane Myers went 0-for-1 as a pinch-hitter in a rare Gigantes del Cibao loss.
- Congrats to RHP Anthony Maldonado and OF Victor Mesa Jr. on being selected to the Marlins 40-man roster. However, their special moments were overshadowed by the perplexing decision not to select 1B Troy Johnston. The most productive hitter in the Marlins farm system since turning pro in 2019, Johnston is now eligible for the upcoming Rule 5 Draft.
- Skip Schumaker edged out Brian Snitker (Braves) and Craig Counsell (formerly of the Brewers) to win NL Manager of the Year. Well deserved for the steady leader who guided the Marlins to one of their best regular seasons in franchise history. Six different managers received first-place votes and six of the 30 BBWAA writers left Schumaker off of their ballots entirely. Here is his interview on MLB Tonight upon receiving the news.
- Listen to our latest Fish On First Twitter Space—hosted by Kevin Barral—reacting to Tuesday’s events.
- Elsewhere around baseball, Padres chairman and owner Peter Siedler passed away at age 63. More so than most MLB owners, Siedler allowed the passion for his team override the temptation to maximize his profits, and that made him extremely popular among Padres fans. All seven players who were issued qualifying offers rejected them.
- Join us tonight at 7:00 p.m. ET for a new edition of Fish On First LIVE on YouTube/Twitter/Twitch. Special guest: Isaac Shapiro (aka “Sevento”). With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- Joining the Marlins Hot Stove Show for his first post-Tommy John surgery interview, Sandy Alcantara was in good spirits. He insisted that elbow discomfort played no role in his disappointing 2023 season—the injury didn’t occur until his final start. Alcantara expressed optimism about coming back “stronger and better” in 2025.
- Max Meyer showed us a glimpse of his own Tommy John recovery. Remember to bookmark the Fish On First injury/rehab tracker for year-round updates on Marlins players.
- Kevin Barral writes about Nasim Nuñez, who just got done with an extra-long, “monotonous” 2023 season.
- Happy birthday to RHP Andrew Lindsey (24) and RHP Lester Nin (20). Both of them pitched for the FCL Marlins this past summer.
Photo by Scott Taetsch/Getty Images