Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Peter Bendix and Bruce Sherman addressed the media at LoanDepot Park on Monday while introducing Bendix as Miami’s new president of baseball operations. To me, the most notable takeaway was that Kim Ng’s former assistant general managers, Brian Chattin, Oz Ocampo and Dan Greenlee, were involved in the POBO search process. They each attended the press conference and all indications are that they’ll be retained by Bendix (at least for this offseason).
- As embedded on top of this page, The Offishial Show is back on a weekly schedule! Every Tuesday throughout the year, listen to me, Fish On First staffers and special guests discuss all things Marlins. Subscribe to the Fish On First channel wherever you get your pods.
- Elsewhere around baseball, Gunnar Henderson and Corbin Carroll were announced as the AL and NL Rookie of the Year, respectively. Eury Pérez earned one third-place vote on the NL side, courtesy of Jordan Shusterman of FOXSports.com. The Astros have promoted bench coach Joe Espada to be their new manager, taking over for the recently retired Dusty Baker. Espada spent the first eight seasons of his post-playing career (2006-13) with the Marlins organization. Craig Counsell’s longtime bench coach, Pat Murphy, is expected to be named Counsell’s successor in Milwaukee. That would leave the Padres as MLB’s lone managerial vacancy.
- Tonight’s BBWAA award announcement will be AL/NL Manager of the Year. Skip Schumaker is likely to win the NL hardware. Check out the coverage on MLB Network beginning at 6:00 p.m. ET.
- Also, 6:00 p.m. ET represents the deadline for MLB teams to file reserve lists for all major and minor league levels as a precursor to next month’s Rule 5 Draft. Eligible prospects selected to their club’s 40-man roster will be protected from all phases of the Rule 5, while those moved to the 38-man Triple-A reserve list will be safe from the draft’s minor league phase. As outlined in my Marlins offseason blueprint, I recommend selecting Victor Mesa Jr., Troy Johnston, Nasim Nuñez and Anthony Maldonado to the 40-man.
- Christina De Nicola of MLB.com makes the case that Schumaker deserves the NL MOY award for pushing the right buttons. “He played matchups on the mound and at the plate to set his players up for success, and also had to monitor his young rotation’s workload,” she writes. De Nicola also details the progress Luis Arraez has made in rehabbing from an end-of-season ankle injury.
- Brian Dunleavy of Marlin Maniac recommends Eduardo Rodriguez, Hunter Renfroe, Victor Caratini and Paul DeJong as free agent targets for the Marlins.
- Jorge Soler (DH), Luis Arraez (2B), Jake Burger (3B) and Tanner Scott (RP) are on the 2023 All-MLB ballot. Vote for them through this Sunday.
Photo courtesy of Miami Marlins