Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Wednesday’s AFL/winter ball notes: Solid start for RHP Ike Buxton (5.0 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 8 K), matching the highest strikeout total of his pro career. LHP Dale Stanavich followed with a scoreless inning of relief. 3B Jacob Berry went 3-for-5 with his first home run of the fall league. 2B Nasim Nunez went 1-for-5 with a double.
- Subscribe to Fish On First wherever you get your podcasts to check out our extended conversation with Marlins insider Craig Mish! He explains why ownership had concerns about the organization’s sustainability and why Kim Ng wasn’t willing to go along Bruce Sherman’s vision. The pod references reporting from Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald and Brittany Ghiroli of The Athletic.
- Jesús Luzardo is a finalist for the NL Gold Glove award along with pitchers Taijuan Walker and Zack Wheeler, Rawlings Baseball announced on Wednesday. Eight Marlins players have previously won Gold Gloves, but only one pitcher (Mark Buehrle in 2012). Aside from Luzardo, no other Marlins were finalists at their respective positions this year. The award winners will be announced on November 5.
- Elsewhere around baseball, the Astros spoiled Max Scherzer‘s return from injury to win ALCS Game 3. Jose Altuve now has 25 career postseason homers (for context, Luis Arraez has 24 career regular season homers). The Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) announced the implementation of an automatic ball-strike system for the 2024 season. The KBO is generally considered the world’s third-most competitive baseball league behind only MLB and Japan’s NPB. MLB officials will surely be monitoring this situation closely.
- The latest Fish On First LIVE included our final thoughts on Ng, what the Marlins should be prioritizing in the search for her replacement and observations about the MLB postseason. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- Tonight brings us an LCS doubleheader. Ranger Suárez takes the mound for the Phillies, having allowed just one total run in his previous two postseason starts.
- Our 2023 Marlins Season Review series keeps expanding. Check back daily for more articles from the FOF staff.
- Just Baseball updated their Top 100 MLB prospects list. The lone Marlin on there, RHP Noble Meyer, ranks 59th.
- Glenn Geffner’s View from the Bleachers endorses Michael Hill for a second stint as Marlins president of baseball operations. “From what I’ve heard over the years, Hill’s 2020 departure from the Marlins was orchestrated by the departed (Derek) Jeter,” Geffner writes. “There’s some question as to whether or not Sherman was even informed in advance that Hill would be leaving the club he served for nearly 20 years.”
- Christina De Nicola of MLB.com mentions teenagers SS Fabian López and OF Andrés Valor as possible breakout prospects for the Marlins in 2024.
Photo by Elsa/Getty Images