Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Sunday’s Marlins MiLB notes: Recently promoted Dane Myers (Jacksonville) hit two home runs while Devin Smeltzer threw a seven-inning complete game. Johnny Cueto (Pensacola) made a scoreless though underwhelming rehab start (2.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K), allowing a deep fly ball that seemingly would’ve left the ballpark if not for windy conditions. The Beloit Sky Carp have lost four straight games and 21 of their last 25 (yes, you read that correctly). Paul McIntosh (Jupiter) went 0-for-3 with a walk in what’s likely to be the final game of his rehab assignment.
- The Marlins blasted a season-high four home runs in their comeback victory: Jorge Soler‘s 18th and 19th, Garrett Cooper‘s seventh and Jean Segura‘s first. Braxton Garrett set a new season high with nine strikeouts. If you exclude his disastrous Braves start, Garrett’s earned run average would be 2.73.
- Trevor Rogers‘ last scheduled rehab start was aborted due to a right shoulder issue, but Craig Mish of SportsGrid reports that he could be back on the mound this week. Mish also warns that regardless of performance, Eury Pérez will eventually be “paused” from pitching in order to manage his 2023 workload.
- Elsewhere around the majors, the Blue Jays rallied from a 6-1 deficit to beat the Twins, going ahead on Cavan Biggio‘s eighth-inning home run. One of MLB’s hottest hitters since being recalled by the Rockies on May 26, Nolan Jones (175 wRC+) hit a 472-foot walk-off homer. The Athletics swept the NL Central-leading Brewers.
- Revisiting our Marlins vs. White Sox series predictions, most folks (myself excluded) were right to trust in Miami to win again. At the last possible moment, Bryan De La Cruz stole Series MVP honors from Soler. If you want to make predictions with us prior to every Marlins series opener, please consider becoming a Super Subscriber for as little as $3 per month. You also get access to all of our homemade GIFs to save and use as you desire.
- We’ve got a new episode of Fish On First LIVE streaming on YouTube/Twitch/Twitter beginning at 7:00 p.m. ET. Special guest: Danny Rodriguez. Super Subscribers, make your series predictions before the 9:40 p.m. ET first pitch. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- Entering this new week, the Marlins have 52.8% odds to make the playoffs, per FanGraphs. They have a 45.2% chance to win their series opener against the Mariners. DSL Miami (11:00 a.m. ET) are at home, while FCL Marlins (12:00 p.m. ET) and DSL Marlins (11:00 a.m. ET) are on the road.
- Next up in Hector Rodriguez’s series of 2023 MLB Draft prospect profiles: shortstop Arjun Nimmala. Find the rest of the profile series in our prospects section.
- Phase 1 of MLB All-Star voting continues through June 22. You can vote up to five times per email address each day—take advantage of it!
- Happy 18th birthday to Marlins outfielder José Gerardo. The toolsy Dominican is playing regularly in the Florida Complex League coming off an extraordinary offensive performance in his first pro season (156 wRC+ and 18 SB in 50 G).
- And lastly, watch Nick Fortes do what he does best: block balls in the dirt.
Featured image courtesy of Miami Marlins