Today’s Marlins news roundup also includes MLB Draft intel.
Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Monday’s Marlins MiLB notes: José Gerardo (FCL Marlins) hit his first stateside home run, though his strikeout rate is up to 36%. Venezuelan right-hander Oswaldo Aponte (DSL Marlins) had the best start of his young professional career (4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K). Fabian López (DSL Miami) homered for the third time and now leads all Marlins rookie ball players with 11 RBIs this season.
- For the second time in his last three games, Luis Arraez went 5-for-5 at the plate, upping his average to an even .400. Truly astounding.
- Jorge Soler assisted the offensive outburst with his 21st homer of the year, but he did not draw any walks. That snaps his franchise record-tying streak of 10 games with at least one base on balls.
- Eight different Marlins players drove in runs on Monday, including rookie Jacob Amaya, who will presumably get a start tonight against Blue Jays lefty Yusei Kikuchi.
- Elsewhere around the majors, Joey Votto made his 2023 season debut. He homered to help the Reds to their ninth straight win and they took over the National League Central division lead in the process. The Giants rallied from a 4-0 deficit to beat the Padres for their eighth consecutive victory. Drafted as a catcher, former No. 1 overall draft pick Henry Davis made his MLB debut for the Pirates in right field. Pittsburgh was shut out by the Cubs, extending their losing streak to seven in a row.
- On the latest edition of Fish On First LIVE, our panel discussed Amaya’s call-up, the Marlins’ complicated starting rotation situation and Bryan De La Cruz‘s inconsistency. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- The Marlins have a 55.4% chance to win their next game against the Blue Jays, per FanGraphs. Low-A Jupiter (6:30 p.m. ET), FCL Marlins (12:00 p.m. ET) and DSL Miami (11:00 a.m. ET) are at home, while Triple-A Jacksonville (7:05 p.m. ET), Double-A Pensacola (7:00 p.m. ET), High-A Beloit (7:35 p.m. ET) and DSL Marlins (11:00 a.m. ET) are on the road.
- Phase 1 of MLB All-Star voting continues through Thursday. You can vote up to five times per email address each day—take advantage of it!
- Sandy Alcantara ranks 23rd, Jesús Luzardo ranks 36th, Braxton Garrett ranks 41st and Eury Pérez ranks 42nd on The List of top starting pitchers for fantasy baseball created by Nick Pollack.
- In his updated MLB mock draft, Keith Law of The Athletic reports that the Marlins are “absolutely all over the place” in identifying candidates for the 10th overall pick. They’ve got interest in right-hander Noble Meyer, catcher Kyle Teel, shortstop Colin Houck and shortstop Matt Shaw.
- The Marlins created a montage of Luis Arraez smacking Jon Jay on the left pec every time he arrives at first base. Some of their interactions look legitimately painful!