Today’s Marlins news roundup also includes an update on Avisaíl García’s progress.
Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Monday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: All three rookie-ball affiliates had their games suspended due to rain.
- Dylan Floro‘s earned run average ballooned to 4.86 during his rough inning on Monday. That’s despite a fielder independent pitching of 2.85. He has been the fourth-unluckiest qualified MLB reliever this season by that measure.
- The Marlins became the first MLB team to ground into 100 double plays. Meanwhile, no other team has more than 81.
- Per Jim Callis of MLB Pipeline, RHP Justin Storm is the third Marlins draft pick to sign for less than his slot value, receiving a $241k bonus (slot was $261k). There’s one more week remaining until the signing deadline (5:00 p.m. ET on July 25).
- Elsewhere around the majors, highly regarded Pirates prospects Endy Rodriguez and Quinn Priester debuted together in a blowout loss to the Guardians. Shohei Ohtani blasted his MLB-leading 35th home run in the Angels’ victory over the Yankees.
- The latest episode of Fish On First LIVE touched on Johnny Cueto, Edward Cabrera, Marlins/Cardinals trade possibilities and more. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- The Marlins have a 38.6% chance to win their next game against the Cardinals, per FanGraphs. Edward Cabrera will be making his return from a five-week injured list stint, as will St. Louis outfielder Tyler O’Neill, who’s been sidelined since early May. Double-A Pensacola (7:35 p.m. ET), High-A Beloit (7:35 p.m. ET), FCL Marlins (12:00 p.m. ET) and DSL Miami (11:00 a.m. ET) are at home, while Triple-A Jacksonville (7:35 p.m. ET), Low-A Jupiter (6:35 p.m. ET) and DSL Marlins (11:00 a.m. ET) are on the road.
- Daily scoreboard watching notes: root for the Orioles over the Dodgers, the Braves over the Diamondbacks, the Blue Jays over the Padres and the Nationals over the Cubs.
- Our MLB trade deadline coverage is at full intensity. The latest articles in there include my favorite right-handed reliever targets, Grant Kiefer’s overview of realistically available and attainable players, and Kevin Barral’s write-ups on rental starting pitchers Jordan Montgomery and Marcus Stroman.
- Per Christina De Nicola of MLB.com, Avisaíl García (left back tightness) will begin a rehab assignment with Pensacola tonight. His previous rehab assignment was derailed by a setback, but barring a repeat of that, he’s on track to make it back to the Marlins active roster within the next two weeks.
- There have been upticks in Jean Segura‘s quality of contact and luck during his recent hot streak, writes Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald.
- Luis Arraez and Jazz Chisholm Jr. were merely honorable mentions in the FanGraphs 2023 Trade Value series. Expect to see Sandy Alcantara and Eury Pérez ranked inside the top 40 as the rest of the list gets unveiled this week. Perhaps Jesús Luzardo sneaks in there, too.
- Marlins Historian asks what you think is the best shorthand name for LoanDepot Park.
- Happy 23rd birthday to Marlins RHP Ike Buxton. Miami’s 15th-round pick in the 2022 MLB Draft has a 1.91 ERA in 33.0 IP for Jupiter this season with a huge 58.6% groundball rate. He’s been stretched out as a starter after originally being utilized out of the bullpen.