Today’s Marlins news roundup also includes a birthday shoutout to one of the top prospects in Miami’s farm system.
Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Tuesday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: 1B Troy Johnston has hits in all 13 of his games since joining Jacksonville, including extra-base hits in nine of those games. In Pensacola, SS Nasim Nuñez is riding a 14-game hitting streak (though none of those hits have gone for extra bases). In the fifth appearance of his minor league rehab assignment, Tommy Nance (Pensacola) had an effective 16-pitch outing (1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K). OF Osiris Johnson (Beloit) continues to quietly play the best ball of his pro career. Over the last 30 days, he’s slashing .379/.453/.606. Mesmerizing box score in the first half of the FCL Marlins doubleheader. The two teams combined to draw 31 walks in a seven-inning game.
- OF Davis Bradshaw moving up from Beloit to Pensacola and INF/OF Javier Sanoja going from Jupiter to Beloit were among the latest series of minor league promotions. Kevin Barral put those transactions in their proper context.
- Jorge Soler now has eight home runs this season in what Baseball-Reference defines as “late-and-close” situations. That’s tied with Shohei Ohtani for the most in Major League Baseball. The Marlins won their 25th one-run game, surpassing their total from the entire 2022 season.
- Elsewhere around the majors, Rays ace Shane McClanahan is expected to miss the rest of the season due to a forearm injury. Surgery is being considered. Kyle Schwarber reached the 30-homer milestone for the fifth time in his career. Orioles closer Félix Bautista, who had allowed only five earned runs all year, blew a save on Kyle Tucker’s ninth-inning grand slam. The Marlins gained a half-game on the Phillies in the NL Wild Card race and a full game on the Giants, Diamondbacks and Padres (and obviously, the Reds). The Angels won for the first time in August.
- The Marlins have a 47.2% chance to win their series finale against the Reds, per FanGraphs. It’ll be Johnny Cueto‘s 102 career start at Great American Ball Park. Triple-A Jacksonville (7:05 p.m. ET), High-A Beloit (7:35 p.m. ET), Low-A Jupiter (6:30 p.m. ET), FCL Marlins (12:00 p.m. ET) and DSL Miami (11:00 a.m. ET) are at home, while Double-A Pensacola (7:15 p.m. ET) is on the road.
- I have brought the Fish Stripes concept of FanPosts to FOF. They will be published here. Submit your own Marlins articles and we’ll share them with the rest of our community. Details below.
- Hall of Famer Wade Boggs explained to Jerry Beach of Compare.bet why it’s “kind of refreshing” to see Luis Arraez thrive with an old-school, contract-oriented approach.
- Super Subscriber Paolo Torres is running a fantasy football league this NFL season and encourages Marlins fans to join him.
- Happy 24th birthday to Xavier Edwards. Edwards made his major league debut on May 2, but has spent most of the season with Triple-A Jacksonville, posting a .374 batting average and 5.3% strikeout rate. Both marks are the best among qualified full-season MiLB players. It will be almost impossible for the Marlins to deny Edwards of a September call-up, and he could make it up sooner if any infielders suffer an injury.
- Our partners at FOCO have dozens of products in their Miami Marlins collection. Shop here.
Photo by Dylan Buell/Getty Images