Today’s Marlins news roundup also includes updates from several rehab assignments.
Marlins Podcast Episodes
- Wednesday’s Marlins MiLB Notes: Rehabbing with Jacksonville, Avisaíl García went 2-for-4 with a loooooong home run and an outfield assist. INF Jordan Groshans delivered the walk-off RBI single. RHP Eury Pérez (Pensacola) made his first start since being optioned earlier this month. He was limited to 45 pitches (2.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 0 HR). Tommy Nance and RHP Jacob Miller both began their rehab assignments with scoreless appearances during an FCL Marlins blowout win. The team’s offense erupted for 15 runs despite not hitting any homers.
- Sandy Alcantara threw his 11th career complete game, tied for third-most in Marlins history. He earned his 38th Marlins win, matching José Fernández for ninth place on the all-time franchise list.
- The Marlins acquired Jorge López from the Twins in exchange for Dylan Floro. López is slightly cheaper, under club control through 2024 and earned an All-Star selection last year, but he’s been struggling even more than Floro this season (5.09 ERA, 5.94 FIP, -0.24 WPA in 35.1 IP). Craig Mish of SportsGrid, who broke the news, expects the Marlins to add another right-handed reliever prior to Tuesday’s trade deadline.
- Elsewhere around the majors, the Angels traded two of their top prospects to the White Sox for Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo López, while the Dodgers and Guardians swapped Noah Syndergaard for Amed Rosario. Such an aggressive “buying” move makes it clear that the Angels won’t be parting with Shohei Ohtani prior to the deadline. MLB owners officially extended Rob Manfred’s contract. He has been the league’s commissioner for the last eight-and-a-half years and this extension is poised to keep him there for another five-and-a-half.
- Our monthly Marlins Jeopardy trivia contest is streaming tonight at 7:00 p.m. ET on YouTube/Twitch/Twitter. Thanks to everybody who submitted audience questions. Send in more if you’d like for an opportunity to have it featured on a future show. With chiropractic care and functional health, La Pop takes a preventative approach that optimizes wellness and quality of life for all ages. Find out more here!
- Triple-A Jacksonville (7:05 p.m. ET), Low-A Jupiter (6:30 p.m. ET) and DSL Marlins (11:00 a.m. ET) are at home, while Double-A Pensacola (7:35 p.m. ET), High-A Beloit (7:00 p.m. ET) and DSL Miami (11:00 a.m. ET) are on the road.
- Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald wonders whether Wednesday’s game could be a turning point in Sandy Alcantara’s season. Battery mate Jacob Stallings observed that “he was more upbeat than really I’ve ever seen him on a start day.”
- For comprehensive Marlins injury updates, remember to bookmark our tracker.
Photo courtesy of 65josecastillo/Instagram